Finishing Aida cloth

I have a "receiving blanket" size aida cloth with hand embroidery on it that my precious DIL asked me to finish. Her mother who passed away a few years ago did the embroidery. She is expecting their first child (my first grandchild) and I feel honored to be asked.

I was thinking of fringing the edges but am not sure how to go about securing the weave so that it will not continue to unweave. (is that a word?). Would a zig-zag or another decorative stitch on the DM be appropriate and look okay?

This really shouldn't be so hard, but I would like for it to be "perfect" as I want to give it back to her at the baby shower her mother's friends are giving her.

Any suggestions?

What an honor!!!

As a serious needleartist and needlework finisher and framer in my past life (before I cought the quilting bug) I can say with conviction that if you are going to fringe the edge of the Aida, a straight stitch (with a shortened stitch length) at the base of where your fringe will begin will hold it just fine and will be nearly invisible if you use matching thread. A second row on top of the first with a slighty different stitch length will give it added security. Just stitch in the area between the groups of threads. Is that clear to you?

A zig zag stitch will also be sufficient but will show more when you are done. A decorative stitch may make the fringe go wonky and not lay straight.

Post a photo when you are done!!!!

Thanks, ladies!!! You've made me feel a lot better about the way this will turn out.

I don't know about the photo. I haven't tried that yet, but this would be a good opportunity to learn. I'll have to go back and read where it's been explained. -- Another exercise to keep the mind sharp!:D

Archived