bonnies steam method

I was hoping someone could point me to the thread explaining Bonnies steam method. I hear it talked about and am very curious. The next quilt I have coming up to quilt has some puffiness in the center. I don't know if they are d cups, maybe c, but I would like not to have to take the quilt apart.

I did a search here and I even googled it, but I only find reference to it.

Lynn,

If you look under each post there are three buttons. One says profile, one says find, and the third says U2U. If you click on the U2U button you can send the poster a personal message.

To look at your own U2U's, there is a link under where your login is (at the top right hand corner of the page), just next to the profile link, that says U2U. Just click on that.

Hope that helps.

Roberta, Here's the directions that I saved on my computer. I hope this helps. If you end up calling Bonnie, tell her I said Hi!

you can do it either before you frame it up or while on the frame. Sometimes the fluff, doesn't show until you have gotten down the quilt several rows and you realize that its getting bigger as you go. If that should happen you will need to work this trick from the point of notice till you get to the bottome. And it can be done while you work on the frame or off. BUT, you need to remember to have a heavy towel ready so that you can push from the bottom while you are using your iron (on high and Full steam) from the top. IF you need I will explain how I learned REALLY quick why you need the towel.

First, spray pretty heavy with the spray starch...I personally use the heavy professional ones. Brands it makes no difference, as long as its a good quality one.

Once its sprayed take your iron and hold it over the spot and start steaming and working the material into place. It may take a few minutes and some time (Also you may need to repeat a couple of times)....once you have the material hot start to apply some pressure....DO NOT rub, you are not wanting to stretch the fabric anymore than it has already been stretched...it will sort of work like a Shrink-A-Dink and just start to fold back onto itself and work back into place.

Also you may need to come further into the quilt...I've had several that I had to go almost to the middle of the quilt.

The only thing that once you have done this you must remember tell you customer what you needed to do...SOME customers don't like to wash their quilts right away...and if you forget to tell them and there are "Silver Fish" in your area, things could go south. Silver Fish love spray starch will eat the quilt...once its washed it won't draw them so things are good.

Thank you Colleen. I appreciate the explanation.

I think this should work pretty well. I will try it before putting it on the frame though. It just sounds like it would be easier. Although, this isn't a really big quilt. I might also try fill the area with a small filler, maybe a leaf. I heard that works pretty good too. Someday I will be past this beginner stage and have it all figured out, haha

Archived