Need Help - turning a quilt

I haven't purchased a longarm YET...currently I am struggling with a problem I HOPE someone has an answer for......We have a 95" wide double wedding ring on my inspira 10ft. frame/viking megaquilter......there is a very small design sewing space (6-8"). We are 1/2 the way done and that space is smaller yet and we have to sew 1/2 the design and roll to finish the design. That space will continue to get smaller. We are thinking we could "turn the quilt" and use the rollers in an opposite manner to finish the quilt.

I am sure you long arm gals might have a solution for this problem....hints.....what might happen.........what to watch for........ANY HELP out there? This is OVER a 3000 piece quilt, a gift, and needs to get done......HELP (I know a long arm is the answer) BUT NOT for this quilt! I would appreciate any advice any one is willing to offer.

Kathy, you should be able to turn it. Here's what I'd to to avoid problems:

[*] rotate the quilt so that the unfinished portion will be re-attached to your pick up roller.

[*] pin the finished edge of the quilt to your quilt backing roller, or whichever roller is farthest away from the throat. You don't want the bulk of what's already quilted to encroach any further on your space, since it's at a premium.

[*] roll the quilt completely on to that roller, smoothing the unfinished part and the batting around the roller as you go.

[*] Now pin the backing fabric ONLY to the pick up roller. Smooth the batting and quilt top edges along the backing, but don't secure them to the backing. Just let them roll up into the pick up roller in the next step, smoothing them as you go.

[*] Next roll down to where your previous quilting ended. You'll be starting in the middle of the quilt and will be working backwards toward the top end. This will allow you to keep the backing straight and smooth.

As you work backwards, I'd use pins or basting to keep the quilt top and batting from shifting as you work toward the other direction.

Hope this makes sense, and that it will work for you! Yep, start dreaming of that longarm :)!

Thank you Dawn........that is exactly how I thought we might do it EXCEPT I don't understand the rationale for NOT pinning the batting and top to the take up roller. My fear would be we wouldn't get the top/batting tight enough.....YOUR thoughts?

I am thinking seriously about a long arm...I am having a difficult time justifying the expense because this would be for hobby and fun only.....I want one! I spent time talking with Karen McTavish at the Rochester show this year....It is so very tempting.....I am proficient at free motion on my domestic and worry about the learning curve on a long arm...The small frame I have now is used mainly by my friends....I love doing freehand feathering and am concerned about "back tracking" with the foot that one must use on the long arm........I just cannot see well enough.............I wish there was an open toe foot. The speed of the needle is distracting from back tracking .... all this said I have spent maybe 5 minutes on a long arm.....I wish there was somewhere I could go and spend an entire day or two using one so I would know that the learning curve wouldn't be as tough as I think it to be.

Thank you Dawn for a rapid answer to my post. I feel more comfortable in turning it now..........Kathy

Hi Kathy,

I guess you could pin it, but my thinking is that if you are starting in the center and quilting back toward the top, the quilt top fabric will need to be smoothed up toward the pick up roller. If it is pinned to the roller, you might have a bit of a "bubble" when you finally reach the top edge again.

When you quilt from the "top" of the quilt down, the quilt top is independent from the backing, so you adjust it separately. But in this case, you wouldn't have a way to adjust it because it would already be attached to the backing/canvas.

As for your longarm possibilities, you might want to think about the Lenni system. At under $10,000 it's very affordable compared to many long arms. I know that the foot can be distracting the first few times you use it. But if you saw any of Karen's work at the show, I'm sure you saw that backtracking can be done. You hit the nail on the head--you have to allow for practice and a learning curve.

Any of our dealers would welcome you to come and spend extended time playing on the machine to get a feel for the learning curve. You can even slip down to Des Moines and try out all the models in the showroom. When you're ready, just let us know!

Dawn, what you say about NOT pinning to the take up roller now makes perfect sense.....Thank YOU

I have looked on the APQS site and cannot find anything about a "showroom" for prospective buyers to visit. Is it possible to spend quite a few hours there trying the machines? Is it best to call ahead to make sure of availability and set up an appointment? I would be driving a fair distance. The quilt shows are wonderful but a very difficult place to spend time trying a machine. At the Rochester show Karen gave me a great estimate but a show is a VERY difficult place to "really use" and spend time on a machine. I would very much like to try the "accu drive" handles. I think that would mimic a great deal how I quilt on my domestic. Karen also mentioned that adjustments can be made so the machine is as tight or loose as a person's style requires. (I think that was how she decribed it).....she commented that the machine at the show was also too low for me and that she has hers higher. That made a great deal of sense to me also. Would I be able to work on a machine at the proper height for me in the showroom? My back would never handle that low height and I cannot take the purchase plunge until I am certain about that issue. She also commented about a stool for sitting. Would that option be available also to try? She was most helpful but I didn't want to take up too much of everyone's time when there were so many quilters wanting to check out the machines.

Thanks MUCH....Kathy

Hi Kathy,

We have all the available models in the showroom, which is located in Des Moines, Iowa. One of the machine is on a hydraulic lift system, which helps us determine what is the best working height for you.

Each of the tables adjust manually up to 9 inches in height, and you can also sit at the tables to work.

If you ever want to drive down and give them a try, just call our toll free number at 800-426-7233 to set up an appointment.

Kathy, I started out with the Pfaff equivalent of what you have and understand the space problem. I think when you begin to fasten the quilt back on the frame, it will all be more clear. Just do it. As far as adjusting to the longarm, you'll feel like you died and went to heaven! I have a Millenium and it is heavier to move than the Pfaff was--but it's pretty slick! As you know from this forum, help is everywhere! Good luck! Jane

Archived