loose or tight wheels

Ok everyone - some of you have quilted for some time and are best friends with your machines and you know how you like yours set up.

My questions is:

How do you have your wheels set up - tight or loose - and why? I am fiddling with this on my machine and really don't know what I like best. My circles seem to be better with looser wheels but it seems like the machine gets away from me and seems a bit wobbly. When tighter, I feel I have more control, but not as smooth stitching. I know I need more time on my machine, but am just curious about what some of you like.

Meg,

You don't want your machine to be wobbly because that will ruin your wheels. As far as how loose is all up to you...lol big help huh? I have tightened mine more than I had them when I started and like the control more. I also like adding foam so that it slows down the machine and I'm getting my best results on pantos now. Of course some pantos aren't as hard to follow but whne the lines are 1/4" away I want it to be exact. I also do a lot of custom work and like the foam to allow me to do the details. There are some that can be as precise as needed without using anything except loosening or tightening their wheels. I didn't have as much luck with that so for me the answer was the foam.

I guess what I'm saying is try it every way you can, keep notes and then settle on the one you like.

Heidi,

How much foam, what size and where do you place. Have looked at Sharon S site and find it a curious concept. When you use the foam, does your machine feel stiffer or do you just get more control? I have also noted that many people use only one hand on the machine/handle and the other on the take up bar when they are doing a panto - I feel so out of control with only one hand but am giving it a try with every practice session. How do you hold and manipulate your machine when doing a panto.

thanks,

Meg

Meg,

I use 1" foam. I had to buy 1/2" because that was all they had so I just double it over. It fits under the leveler bar and you must have a large base on. I made a base that sits behind my extended base. It was very easy to make and works like a charm. Also Rita R's husband makes them if you don't want to make your own and his is a very fair price. I tuck the foam under the take-up roller and then roll the final 4" or so to get it right. I haven't tired the technique of holding the take-up roller so I might just give that a try. I don't know that it will work for me because I sit while I do my pantos. I generally hold onto just the left handle with both hands.

The foam does make the machine feel a little stiffer but I just moved my leveler bar up a tad to give me the resistance that I needed. It isn't stiff enough to make it hard to move just stiff enough to give me a little resistance so that it doesn't slide at the slightest touch. I've found that I'm thrilled with the results now and don't end up having those wonky looking jogs when I'm not paying close attention. LOL I have a tendancy to get very bored following pantos. I'll be posting soon a customer quilt I just did and I think she will be very happy with the results.

Archived