Valdini 35# specialty thread question

Ok, here's a question from a newbie who would like to hear from some of the more experienced gals out there.....I just spent the day quilting a top using Valdini #35 cotton hand-dyed thread. Colors were perfect, but I had tension probs and the thread kept breaking...note, I do "not" have an apqs, but my question is mostly just a general one. I love the specialty threads but have so darned much trouble with them. What are your favorite threads/weight (brand names please, also tips on which ones to stay away from?)

and any tips for a newster? thanks very much!

One of the best things that the LQS owner shared with me was if my thread is breaking, I need "Sewers Aid" which is a liquid silicone. Put stripes down the cone about 1/2 " apart so that there is a bit of silicone ever little bit and you won't have as many problems with breaking. I first used this on some metalic thread and not one break thru the whole table runner that I was quilting. Almost all fabric shops carry this. You might try that. :cool:

Yes, you would have to adjust tension for different weight threads. Once you learn your machine you'll know better what works for various weights. Plus I test my bobbin tension with each bobbins (even if its the same weight).

The thread you were having problems with - was it a cone or spool? I find that if you don't have a spool holder (not same as the cone holder) then I had breakage. The spools have to unwind from the side whereas the cones from the top.

Hope this helps.

I just used Valdani in the top and Bottom Line in the bottom with no troubles this weekend on a quilt. I think the trick is to have a LOOSE bobbin, so you need to adjust to LOOSE on top, too. :) Loose on both top & bobbin balances out the tension.

I have to say that I also love to play with all sorts of specialty threads and the secret of success is loose on both ends. Bob at Superior Threads said our biggest problem with threads is we keep our machine tensions too tight on top & bottom. After I heard that, I changed my ways and ever since I've been sooooo HAPPY!!!!!! :)

Archived