Batting Rolls storage???

I am looking for ideas for storing batting under my longarm table. By reading the forum messages, the tables use to come with a Batting roller located under the table. How is this attached? Does anyone have a pic of their batting roller under their table?

If we choose to attach a roller for a holder, do I have to be careful for anything so I don't damage the table, machine, alignment etc. ? I have also created a plan to have a holder made to store batting and roll under the table.

Does anyone have an opinion (pro or con) with batting storage under the table? I like the idea of being able to roll it atop to measure for the top on the rails.

I did see the pic of the batting holder with a "tube" on a rotating base. That is an option I do not mind using. I then would consider storing it in a tall cabinet.

Any suggestions welcome!!

Jan

Jan,

I store my batting under the table - I have a holder that it made from plywood in an "L" shape and has curtain rod hangers screwed to the side. i just use heavy duty PVC pipe as a center rod. IT works pretty well but remember tomeasure the roll after you take the plastic off as it is packed in a vacuum and "puff up" when unwrapped. I am too new to have one of the batting racks - but they sound neat. Target makes a ceiling mounted bicycle holder ($20) that seemed like a cool idea to me - up and out of the way - but never got that far in the design concept.

Good luck

Susie Q

Hey Jan,

I've been "battling with the batting" storage issue for all the nine years I've been in business. I started out storing three rolls under my machine on the pole that came with it (Gammill 14'). Found out quickly it gets dirty from lint from the bobbin area and not being covered. So, for awhile I covered it with the plastic that it came in -- just slit open to lay over the top. Unfortunately, as I rolled it out/up/over it would pick up the lint that slid off the plastic cover because of static! I was vaccumming between quilts. Got tired of that.

So, I just picked a convenient corner to stand them up in the area I worked. Still issues with lint along the top and bottom edges. Then it dawned on me -- get them away from the linty area. Next, I stored them in my customer closet. That got old lugging them in and out. They were lint free though!;)

Now they are a corner of the master bedroom, behind a pretty screen. It cut out what I need in the living room then walk into the den where my machine is to lay it over the quilt back already loaded. See, I'm storing and cutting in the areas where there is no lint from the machine to mess it up.

We just finished putting in wood laminate floors throughout the house so I do Swifer with a piece of scrap batting to get any dust up before I lay the roll down to do my cutting. I also use a drywall square ruler (looks like a big t-square) to get a straight cutting line for my piece of batting.

Hope this helps you in some way. Allison Bayer, in icy Plano, Texas

Thanks Susie and Allison,

I too had thought about the bicycle hangers... working on creative idea to make it funtional!! Glad to hear some one else considered it!

The Lint is the issue I am reconsidering sotrage under the table. Just last eve, I again noticed the lint and threads that had acumulated under the machine. covering was a thought too. I never thought covering could create a different problem to take into consideration.

I do have in the cabinet plan 3 utility cabinets for batting storage. I will be getting muscles carrying them out to cut on the cutting counter. Thats a plus!!

Hi Jan,

I like to store clear plastic bins under my table. I use them for supplies and customer's tops and batting they have supplied. I found some metal closet supports that attach to the wall and hold the wooden rods. I had Home depot cut the wooden poles (I think they were hand railing size) to the length of the roll of batting. (measure your batting size because some are wider) The PVC piping sounds like a cheaper and lighter idea. I have 2 sets on the wall for my Warm & Natural and the Matildas wool. I should have spaced it better because my small wall could have fit 3.

This makes it so easy to cut and keep away from all the lint. I use mostly cotton thread and batting so I have dust dogs not bunnies. :(

I can email pictures if you need help to see it.

Pat in icy Maine. Brrrrrrrrr

Archived