hidding thread

This is what I do:

Pull out enough stitches so that you have a long enough tail to tie in a knot and bury the thread as you would for hand quilting. When you start your new thread put your needle right in the same hole that you ended on. (if this is where you would like to restart)

Hope this helps!

Cheryl

Maxine,

I use an "easy threading needle" (one that has the slot in the outer eye and allows for easy threading - sort of a split in the top) by Dritz- you get six in a pack for about $2.00. It's easier to pop those two threads into this needle and bury the thread/knot. I keep it on top of Merlin with a magnetic strip - always handy.;)

We took a class with Dawn Cavanaugh (Dawn,you can chime in here if I misunderstood). You hold the two threads on the top, take about 8 stitches, pull and the threads (starting) should be locked. Clip them, sew. When finishing, pull on the top thread so that the bottom thread is pulled up and clip the two threads again. They should be buried...

Cynthia

Hi Maxine,

Lots of good ideas on what to do; will have to try some of them myself.

Like you, I would just take a couple stitches over the area that ended. I found out this didn't hold well enough.

So, if I'm quilting along and it breaks in a light area I rip out the stitches to either a seam or a darker area matching the thread I'm using.

I start about eight stitches back and use my single stitch button to carefully stitch in the holes already made; making a couple of smaller stitches in the beginning to hold. The test is to pull both threads to make sure they are secure.

Then I take off and quilt as I normally do.

It reminds of the "correction" exercises we had to do in typing with carbon paper -- thank goodness for computers!

Allison Bayer, in icy Plano, Texas

Archived