Hartley Fence--attach backwards?

jebm

In the middle of the night it occurred to me if I could put the brake end of the Hartley Fence facing the front of the machine--I could work always from the front--once I got the angle set--or whatever (at least for cross hatching). Has anyone tried that--or does anyone know why we can't do that?

Shana, I tried several different ways to attach a mirror(s) and sometimes I could work the whole thing from the back--border to edge. So it was only 900 trips I think! I will see if I can move the Hartley Fence--We just got electric this morning-- about 12 a.m.--went out at about 1 pm on Sunday...yeck! So I haven't played in the dark basement!

Thanks Myrna! So, we'd be "pushing" to ride the diag rail? Opposite from behind the machine?

Besides, crawling under the top constantly to line up....I dont think that's for me!

I actually like being behind the machine for a change. I know i'm short...but I dont have a problem lineing stuff up, so i'm content with it.

Thanks Myrna--I actually did almost all the quilting from the front--I just had to be sure I didn't run past the end of the diagonal rail (it only took one time for me to be more careful about that). I'll probably have to try it at some point--to just see--I just don't want to take the fence off, move it, and then move it again! I understand what you're saying--I just must have pretty bad eyesight!! :) Jane

Archived