Bulky Works of Art

jrwsma

The quilts Heidi posted for the prize winners are so great! It did make me wonder, how do seasoned (or new) George quilters wrangle all that fabric when quilting larger pieces and full-size quilts? Sometimes I have trouble keeping everything moving along with fluidity.

I would welcome all tips and suggestions.

Laura in OH

• 2 weeks later...

The throat space and the table for George is much larger than domestic machines and that makes a big difference. Otherwise you would follow the same techniques as you would for quilting on a domestic. I 'puddle' the quilt making sure that it is all on the table and none of it is dragging on the edge of the table. I like to do some stitch in the ditch to stabilize the quilt before doing a free motion design. I stitch in a small area at a time, stop and shift the quilt, and stitch another small area. The biggest trick I can think of is patience as it is not a competition or a speed race. It is your vision and you are in control of it. Happy stitching! ;)

I also, puddle the quilts and catch the large ones when they start to drag over the edge. There are times when I would like to position George in a corner of the room (not possible right now) so that the left side and front are tight against the wall, then there would be no place for it to fall and drag. I have quilted king sized quilts on my George.

Depending on the project, I did get Sharon Shambers' halo ring that is nice to hold the small area flat and firm when the design needed is small within the ring. Less stress on the hands for that motion, too. I, also, tend to make the smooth moves for my curves, feathers, etc. by making a couple of curves or feathers and then do a reposition and make a few more. It goes quite quickly even then. I'm usually surprised at how far I get in a short amount of time.

Have fun and be sure to share pictures when you can.

I'm in full agreement with Madelyn and Cindy. We chose the George because we wanted to continue moving the fabric under the machine and/or because we didn't have the space for a stand-up longarm. The 20" throat is a blessing after quilting on a DSM and the table is more than adequate. All the DSM techniques are the same... puddling the quilt so there is no drag, using the halo to help prevent hand & shoulder fatigue. We love the George because it is a simple machine...designed to do one thing and it does it very, very well. It's great for smaller art quilts but we're able to handle large bed quilts without any trouble (except for the basting step...we still have to do that part). The group on this forum has been very supportive as well. Best to all, Nancy in Tucson

• 3 weeks later...

Archived