Grease or Oil

Spi-Cap

Inside the front box where the hand wheel is there is grease or oil on the sleeve/rod that has the spring on the bottom. When I wipe it with a cloth it just smears and it is black. It seems to start from the locking collar on the sleeve and oozes down the rod and splatters on the side and bottom of the box. Is this normal, can I still use the machine. It is running okay. I have not phone in as Iam not home during the day.

Are you referring to the needle bar....that area is OILED with the machine oil you use on the wicks from the top. If you are getting that much excess oil that it's running down and out the bottom you are very likely over oiling. If you gently wipe your Finger tips over the wicks and you see oil on your fingers you can skip oiling at that moment, but watch during the day to make sure you aren't running low. The black is normal friction residue on the needle bar which I don't wipe off. As long as your machine sound right and running normal I would say you are just over oiling and once you get that cleaned up and under control, you will be fine.

Thank-you for your reply Bonnie, but, No, it is not the needle bar. I will try to explain this better. I took the side plate off of the left side. When looking in the box, from right to left: you have needle bar, then the hopping foot on the bottom, then the hand wheel, then the long rod behind the hand wheel that goes down to the bottom with a curly spring on the bottom - that is the bar that has that black stuff on it, does not have a wick to oil. I never oil that bar, only oil the wicks and am careful that I don't over oil it.

Hi Virginia,

The black residue is normal, and you can use the machine. If you're talking about a small spring that is in the lower left hand corner, that spring is part of the rocker assembly that controls the synchronization of your needle bar and hopping foot. The black stuff you're seeing is residue from the small black grommet that rides up and down on the shaft just above the machine. Lots of oil gets thrown around inside that part of the machine, and it lands on that grommet. When you wipe in and around there you're getting some of that gunk along with it.

Just continue to oil the top and side wicks with one drop of oil only when that particular wick feels dry to the touch. Let us know if you have additional questions.

Pat,

If you live in a very humid climate, it is possible for the shaft where you see that spring to rust. It's rare, but it does happen. The oiling wick that lives on the side of the machines does put oil into the top of a small reservoir "hole" on the roof of the rocker assembly. That hole oils the rocker arm.

The other part you may be referring to is the shaft that the spring lives on. If you look above the spring, you'll see that black grommet we were discussing. If you turn the fly wheel until your hopping foot is as high as possible, then hold on to the hopping foot to KEEP it up and turn the fly wheel again, you'll see that spring compress and expose a bit of the shaft inside the black grommet. Put a couple drops of oil there once a year or so if it's very humid where you are.

Archived