Adding a border to a finished quilt?

I have a customer that wants me to add a border to a finished quilt to go from a queen size to king size.  Any tips on how to do this? 

I'm thinking cutting a border twice as wide as the finished border plus seam allowance, folding in half lengthwise with a batting strip in between, quilting the strip leaving the top inch unquilted, then folding the seam allowances in and stitching this down over the binding.  I know I'll need to make the strip extra long to take into account the shrinkage due to the quilting.

Thanks!  Julia

I did that once to a quilt that was pretty old and found dozens of FQ to match the existing quilt (so I had to piece the border) as there was no yardage in those colors anymore.  I opened up the binding and used it as a small border and attached my new pieced border to the quilt there.  Then I quilted the pieced border in piano keys.  She loved it, but I think she was surprised by my price because she didn't give me the other quilt she was thinking of doing the same to.  Oh well.  I will say that this one turned out beautifully and you would never have guessed that the border was added years later.  

The wisdom of the crowd - I love it!  Much better ideas and easier to do than what I was thinking.  I think everyone's right about removing the old binding.  I was trying to save some time (and cost for the customer), but I think that's the right way to go.  It's a really old crazy quilt and she also wants me to replace fabric that's missing or worn.  Looks like a lot of hand work to me :(.

Archived