What thickness templates & rulers?

Sherri

Hi - Hope I'm doing this right......I'm new here, but not too new to quilting. I have had brand "G" for 4 years, but just sold it and ordered a Millenium at MQS. (excited!)

I probably should have asked this question before I bought a new machine, and this is undoubtedly the first of many questions to come..... but does anyone know if I can use the same thickness of acrylic templates and rulers with the Millenium? ...I think they are 1/4".

Thanks for any help you can give!

Sherri

Welcome! Looks like there's a whole bunch of Millennium and Liberty machines in the manufacturing line right now.

I can't answer your question for sure but I think with the newer APQS feet, you are able to use the regular templates. I believe APQS machines needed different templates/rulers when we had the adapter feet.

Hi Sherri

Welcome to the forum and the APQS family! It is my understanding that all the new build machines are coming standard with the newest ruler foot. Right APQS gurus? Please correct me if just put my foot in my mouth!:o

If my assumption is correct all the rulers and templates that worked on your other machine will work just fine with your new machine.

keep the questions coming...that's what were here for! :D

Thanks, Sherry and Judy - I started to get a little worried that here I had all these many rulers and templates that I have accumulated over the last 4 years and then maybe couldn't use them on my new machine....!

Whew - I feel better now.

I bought templates, from Donita Reeves when I was at expo in NH and the order form asked you to check Gamill or APQS. I told Donita that I had purchased some w/o the order form and did I get the correct ones? She said it doesn't matter with the new machines, that the one size template fits both.

I received my used Millennium this week and today received the table/frame . We are going to assemble it this weekend. The machine comes with the Hartley fence and adaptor foot. Is the adaptor foot the same as the foot now coming with new machines??

Thanks!!

Nancy

Nancy: I don't think so. The older models needed a white snap on type adapter foot to do ruler/template work. The new machines have a foot that is raised around the edges with a small cut out or indention in the front for better vision of the needle. (I think! I don't have my machine yet!)

JudyL,

I think you are correct. I read further back in the posts and sounds like there is a new foot that replaces (by choice) the adaptor foot. All new machines are coming with the new foot. This is something I may have to consider. It sounds like the new foot can be a little tricky to install yourself. Once we are set up and running good, then wil read up on the "do-it-yourself" installation. If anyone has done this themselves, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks.

Nancy

Guest Linda S

Nancy - there's some information about this on the APQS Help thread. See the ones about Needle bar and New foot -- the latter one is on page two of the thread. Of course, you can always call the techs at APQS for help installing -- I've been reading about their great service on the other longarm chat sites. Very impressive!

Linda

Yes the new foot is awesome! I had the old foot until almost a half yr ago. Dave Jones here in Mich installed the new foot on my machine and I love it. I didn't have any issues with the old snap-on, but this new foot is INCREDIBLE! I've heard its not hard to install but was just to intimidated to do it myself. YOU'll love it.

Jamie

:) I have an Ultimate I, so I don't know how the following info will relate to other machines. I recently changed from the hopping foot that needed a snap on adaptor for templates. I now have the new type of hopping foot. I like it a lot better than the snap on adaptor because it is 1/4 inch all the way around. The snap on adaptor caused the foot to be different measurements from the needle. So if I quilted around a template, some of the stitching was more than 1/4 inch from the template, depending on which part of the foot met the edge of the template. The new foot is great!

I installed it myself. It is a simple process and instructions come with the new foot. However, it does require that you remove the rotary hook assembly in order to get the old foot off and the new one in place. This means that you will need to re-time the machine when you're done. That's not too big a deal. Just take your time and don't do it when you are trying to meet a deadline. Also, a word of caution. I learned the hard way. Your rotary hook assembly is held on the shaft by three screws. When you remove the screws and the assembly, check the shaft for bumps or burrs caused by the screws. If you find any, use a fine emery cloth to smooth them out before trying to put the rotary hook assembly back on. I didn't do this so when I put the assembly back on it was very tight and wouldn't go all the way on. When I tried to pull it back off, I caused the shaft to come loose. I called the techs at APQS and found out that the shaft is glued in place with "Locktite" or something similar. Since I had caused the shaft to come loose APQS advised me to take the machine off the table and tip it backwards and re-glue the shaft with "Locktite". I did this and it's OK now but if I had checked for burrs I could have avoided all the hassle.

Anyway, the new hopping foot is worth the switch. It allows for more precision than the snap on adaptor. Of course this is just my opinion from my experience. And I think the self-install is easy enough.

;)

We purchased the new foot several months ago to add to our Millie purchased in 2000. My partner installed it and has been nothing but happy. Very little "change" or adjustment necessary.

A worthwhile investment!

Archived