need design ideas

Hi all,

I need some design ideas. I am picking up a quilt this morning for a lady (yes, a real paying customer). She has done photos printed on fabric alternating with plain red squares in a checkerboard effect. The photos are 8 x 10 size. She said she doesn't care what I do to the quilt as long as I don't sew over the photos. She did say she wouldn't mind if I did stitch in the ditch around the edges of the photos, then something flowery in the plain squares. I am going to pick up the quilt in a few minutes, and will post a picture of it when it gets to my house. Her batting is Warm and Natural 80/20. I told her I was concerned about the stitching lines being so far apart when we skip over the photos. Sorry this is so long, I just wanted to give a good explanation and ask for your help. I have to call the lady tonight and let her know what I am going to do. The finished quilt is 64 x 64. Thanks for all your help, Teresa

www.chickenscratchquilting.com

Hi Teresa,

8x10 is a very large area to leave up quilted. How large is the quilt overall?Who will it be used? Depending on what is in the photos you might be able to go around the figures a little without stitching over the persons in the photo. Even if it is to go in a do a rectangle in the rectangle. Or a wavy line or little loops around th e figures, something. Also stuffing in an extra layer of hobbs 80/20 or something with some loft will help fill those blocks.

Myrna

I agree with Myna... I think that is a lot of area to leave unquilted. I would suggest doing some little loops close to the picture but not on the pictures. I think that would help stabilize the quilts. I have quilted a quilt with embroidery on it and I have done some loops in close to the flowers. It seems to hold well. Good Luck....

Barb Wetzel

Ivy Corner Quilting

Altoona, Iowa

Okay, she said again yesterday she does not want any stitching on the printed fabric. I am planning to call her this afternoon. I am attaching a couple of pictures to show what it looks like. I was thinking of doing an interlocking heart or something in the borders and some large something in the plain blocks. The quilt is 60 x 64. It is for the great grandmother to display in her living room. It doesn't sound like it will be getting handled or washed very much.

post--13461897699668_thumb.jpg

Myrna, Thanks. That is exactly what I have decided to do. I am making a notation that says "The Warm Company, makers of Warm and Natural batting, recommend quilting every 4-6 inches for maximum reliability.

As per customer's request, large areas (up to 8 x 10) were left unquilted. Teresa Taylor, Chicken scratch Quilting Company, accepts no responsibility for damage resulting from this misuse of the batting." She feels that there will not be a problem, and who knows, there may not be. I would just rather have my butt covered, just in case something goes wrong.

Thanks for the advice. It's good to know I can turn to you all for help when I need it.

Teresa

Chicken Scratch Quilting Company

If it were me, I would recommend that she use a poly batt like Hobbs Poly-down, my favorite. It is much lighter weight for hanging, and the spacing of the quilting will not be so much of a problem if it ever does get washed. I always try and steer people that way for something that will only be hung. It shows off the quilting nicely, too.

Archived