thread problems

I'm a newbie. My top thread breaks every once in a while. I'm using Bottom Line for the top thread. It sort of splits & looks frayed & then breaks. It seems to happen when I am going to the left. I don't go to the left much just when making a loop back, etc. Maybe I'm going too fast at the same time I'm going backwards. Also my bobbin thread breaks ever so often and kinda gets jammed up. When I pull the bobbin case out, I have to use a pair of tweezers to get the remaining thread out. It's like it's stuck in there. The bobbin thread is the prewound ones that APQS sends with the machine. I've only used 3 of these bobbins. I adjusted the bobbin tension, because it was too tight. I adjusted the top tension, but it didn't seem to make a difference so put it back the way it was. Most of the time, everything is A-OK! Just trying to get a tip from you experienced quilters!:D

My guess would be that the top is just a little too tight. Now keep in mind that you have to make a much bitter turn of that knob to make a difference than you think you will. I remember when I got my machine that I thought a turn of the tension knob like I would make on my domestic machine would do the trick and the thought of giving that dial a huge turn scared me to death. I don't use pre-wounds so I can't help much on whether the tension should be tighter or looser. On the thread getting stuck you can try using the the front flywheel and rotating manually to see if it will release the thread.

Eula,

Go to the homepage of APQS. Scroll down to the bottom of the front page and click under Dawn Cavanaugh on her

Quilt Talk by Dawn. She explains about needle flex and tension, and it sounds much like what you are experiencing.

If you have more questions, post again. Maybe one of the more experienced members will jump in.

vg

Archived