Wheels ARGHHHH!

lizziesgirl

Ok, I have been quilting along fine. Sometimes I have had to do some tweaking but no big deal. Well of course now that it is getting close to Christmas and I have tons of quilts to do, Murphy's Law has to come into force. So here's the problem:

Are you suppose to be able to spin the wheel without the machine moving? I am not holding the machine at all and I can easily move the front wheel and the machine does not move. I have tightened the gold bolt underneath and it helped some but it still moves really easy. The other wheels don't. My adjustment is fine, the wheel lays on the rails just like the pictures show and just like the others. We need a fit throwing icon so that I can insert it here.

Help :(

Sheryl,

Yes, Murphy's Law is at work--it seems like it goes with the holiday season!

Here's the question...is the machine moving the way you want it to, regardless of what the wheel spins like? If so, don't sweat it, quilt up a storm and ignore it. However, if the machine isn't moving correctly, re-check the position of the cam on that wheel to make sure it didn't shift after you tightened the gold bolt. Sometimes those can shift on you when you tighten it up.

I have one wheel on my machine that "spins" much more easily than the others, and one that is difficult to move compared to the rest. However, the machine moves just the way I want it to, so over the years I've come to learn that I don't have to understand why some things are the way they are, I just have to accept them and move on--kind of like faith in God :).

In a perfect world, your wheels would all spin the same, but with variances in bearings, wear on the wheel, and even the direction you commonly quilt factored in, they aren't all going to feel the same.

If you can't get the machine to move as you expect, call Amy tomorrow and she'll work with you as well. But for now, don't worry about what "should be" and if it's moving fine, go for it! :)

Archived