Zipper lesson

Grammie

For those new to the Zipper System I thought I would share my little lesson this week.

I had attached the zippers to both my top and bottom of backing fabric before zipping them to my take up leader (top) and my Backing Leader. They zipped on just fine and all nice and square. What I did wrong was when pinning the top of backing I pinned so that the Backing zipper was on the RIGHT side of fabric rather than pinning on top of wrong side of fabric. This caused the bed of my machine to rub the zipper flap under the backing fabric. So I guess I'm trying to say is when pinning the zippers to your backing while sitting down be sure that the backing fabric is on bottom and your machine will move smoothly back and forth when at this point of the quilt.

Once I quilted my top border and rolled the quilt this was no longer a problem. Just thought I'd share this with any newbies out there. Hope it was understandable.

I'm sorry - I was looking around the site for information on zippers and I still didn't find anything. I read your post and don't understand exactly what you mean. Do you have any pictures maybe? I refer to my quilts as "front, back, top, bottom" so I got confused when I read your post.

I just purchased zippers from Sue at The Quilting Connection this past weekend but I didn't get any instruction. The show was so crowded, you could barely move around let alone hear anyone! Took Judy Allen's class and everyone said you just had to have them if you needed to switch quilts.

Judy talked about turning her quilt and I also don't see how the zippers help with that. Do you have any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Donna:)

Hi Donna,

Take heart, a picture is worth a thousand words!

Call Sue at the Quilting Connection & ask for the color manual.

I am going to be working on getting a video clip made for the zipper install, I think it will really make a difference for you!

I will let you know when we have it ready!;)

Hi Tammie,

Even with pinning on the other side of the zipper and the zipper or the pins are rubbing on the throat of your machine. Your quilt leveler bar is too low. You need to slip the leveler roller out and raise the brackets / screws at each end of your table. You don't have to remove your machine just silp the end of the leveler out so you can turn the brackets / screws You want the leveler bar to be high enough that your fingers slip under to bar to your first knuckle

see photo

http://community.webshots.com/album/528348220SdUfag/1

Myrna

Hi Donna,

Did you purchase at Road to California? Could you please give us a call and then we can figure out what you purchased. All of the machine sets come with a digital color photo manual includes instructions how to install the zippers on the machine and quilt. That should have came with your purhcase unless you purchased the quilt set. Quilt sets are for attaching a second quilt. Meaning you can have one quilt attached and loaded on the machine and a second quilt pinned to zippers ready to attach. Please give us a call and I will find your receipt to see which one you bought.

Thank you,

Sue

262-723-6775

So when I am standing at the back of machine and I slip my hand onto the machine just under the leveler bar My finger will not go under it so my leveler is too low? I just noticed this. So I need to raise it alittle is what your saying Myrna?

The photo will show that My knuckles do not go under the leveler bar. I can force them in but they will be smooched.

post--134618977417_thumb.jpg

Yes, it could come up a bit. I would guess I have mine about half an inch off the throat of the machine, about the width of my finger tip at the first joint.

Where you have your's set it could rub your pin what ever side you have them on.

No smooched fingers. Pretty ring by the way!

When you have your base expander on it will make the space even tighter at that bar. Do keep in mind that you don't want it get the bar higher that my discription. If you have your bar too high you may get vibration on the quilt surface while quilting.

Just give the screws two or three turns , check it then.

Myrna

I love these pictures!

By the way, I have just received Myrna's Hartley Fence manual. One word--

FANTASTIC!!!

This will be a tremendous help in mastering this accessory and I am looking forward to baptist fans.

Now, as a very new longarmer, I wonder why ya'll pin the backing and top to your zipper leaders. I was taught to do it at my home sewing machine. I set my Bernina on a long, basting stitch and start stitching in the middle out on each side. This way I avoid leaving my mark in red all over the quilt and feel more secure that I won't be stitching over an errant pin.

I would like to read any thoughts on this subject--different perspectives make for a great learning experience.

Deborah McVay

Maidencreek Quilts

Bloomsbury, NJ

Deborah, I am with you on basting the zippers to the backing using my DSM. I'll do anything to avoid those pins. I also use a loose stitch and the tear out is quick and easy.

Of course, you still have to deal with the pins when you float the quilt.

I'm thinking that you can baste the bottom of the quilt top to the quilt top zipper on the quilttop roller and then pin when you float the batting/top over the takeup roller.

So the only place you would have to use the pins is the float of the batting and top at the takeup roller.

Does this make sense ? Does anybody else do it this way?

Hi, Linda:

OK, so you pin the sides, right? I was taught to set the Millenium on channel lock and stitch down the sides, too. Give me your thoughts on the benefits and disadvantages of this and your technique. I believe that what everyone does is right--for them--and we can all learn from each other!

Thanks,

Deborah McVay

Maidencreek Quilts

Bloomsbury, NJ

Thank you Deborah,

I am so please that the workbook has been of great help to you all. The Hartley Fence is a great tool and you should be using it. It's certainly not the only tool on the market but it is a valuable on you have. Now I can't wait to see photo of the thing you are doing with it. this workbook is certainly geared toward teh Fence. However al the design ideas in the book can be applied to whatever tool you may use. Templates, Circle Lord, Butter dished. What evey you use to creat a space.

Linda

That is how I attach my quilt top and backing to the leaders. I just like pinning. Using your DSM is just as good and better for those of you that choose to do it that way:)

Ladies there is NO right or wrong way to do things just different. That's what makes this job great and we learn something new from everyone.

This is how I pin Linda.

(I'm thinking that you can baste the bottom of the quilt top to the quilt top zipper on the quilttop roller and then pin when you float the batting/top over the takeup roller)

WhenI am pinning a new quilt I will take photos and put thm in my webshots.

Myrna

Basting with your DSM is a great idea and when I am home more I might consider that idea. I like to pin as well. If I need to manipulate in in way pins can relocating once it is on the machine. This happened to me as the borders had alot of fullness. Pinning carefully and taking my time allowed me to divide the fullness out and get a flat or balance border. Its a personal preferance. I prefer not having to reload if possible as the basting stitches are permanant

Deborah,

I don't pin the sides. I don't think my Ultimate I even has channel locks; if wishing made it so. No stitch regulator either. Maybe the next machine.

I put my backing on last night and plan to fix the rest of the sandwich tonight after work and quilt away into the night.

I am sold on these zippers. With the zigzag stitch on my DSM, a couple of rips and the quilt comes right off the zipper.

Of course, when I basted it on, I had to baste from middle out and then flip the quiltop/zipper over to baste from the middle out in the other direction. I didn't want to have all that fabric stuffed in throat for the second step of the baste - that is why I turned the quiltop over so....

- zipper is under the fabric for the first baste (middle to end)

- turn quiltop/zipper over

- zipper is over the fabric for second baste (middle to other end)

Like Myrna said, no right/wrong way; everybody has different ways of doing things. I love to learn new tricks and this is the place to do it.

Archived