something that needs to be said- please read

chickenscratch

At the risk of making some people mad, I feel this needs to be said.

I have received requests from two individuals to be dropped off the list because they have had rude comments made to them when they requested that their blocks not be signed.

That rude behavior is so disgusting to me. These people have a choice whether to receive signed or unsigned blocks- just as those of the rest of you have that same choice. A person's personal preference should never be attacked, but respected and acted on accordingly.

To those of you making blocks- It will only take a second to verify whether or not each individual would like their blocks signed or not.

You simply can cross reference the participant lists to see who you make one for and then send them a U2U (I tried to include all the usernames) to ask them. This is not asking too much.

To those of you receiving blocks and you do NOT want your blocks signed- YOu might want to send a U2U to each person making a block for you and voice your request.

I am happy to organize, reorganize, email, U2U, and be supportive. I will not, however, mediate disagreements between full grown adults over something as simple as signed blocks.

To the one who decided to go ahead and participate- I'm so glad you did.

To the one who decided to drop out- I apologize on behalf of the rude people who made you feel so unwelcome. Really, as a group we are not like that at all.

Teresa,

You were very articulate in your post. Unfortunately, I am sure that dealing with this has taken a great deal of the fun out of the whole exchange, which is a shame.....especially after all of the work that you have done, getting the list of participants together, making lists for everyone, sending out the lists, redoing the lists to accomodate, etc, etc.

I hope that all will return to the spirit of the exchange, to have FUN, sharing and promoting quilting and enjoying the exchange with our online friends that we may never meet face to face. It is not up to us to criticize how others choose to make their quilts (w or w/o signatures), that is what makes our group so unique, we are all able to express our talents and ideas through quilting, if we all created in the same way, we would simply have cookie cutter quilts and nothing we did would make them special or extraordinary.

I thank you for your work and hope that your enjoyment of the exchange can be restored.

(I have GOT to get Brad busy working on our blocks, or you may never get enough blocks. He did say that he might just cut up his recent project and send blocks of it instead, I told him that wouldn't work...his project was not 1930s fab....)

Hi Teresa

I totally agree with Marjorie, you have put a lot of work into this exchange. I have only been on this forum for a short time and have found everyone to be caring and sharing.

If you need extra blocks made for the participant who has pulled out please let me know. I am more than happy to make a few extra. 6 made only 10 to go

It would be a huge loss if these block swaps were put in the "too hard basket" in future.

Maybe everyone can go back and read the original chat that was started and see how excited we all were to be part of this.

I get on my soapbox a little but have been a class co-ordinator and know how much time and effort goes into these things.

Thank you for allowing us Aussie girls to play.

Karen

Archived