Willamette Valley Driving - YIKES

I have to chime in and give my observation. This thread started with a description of Willamette Valley Driving in the Arctic Blast we just had...and look where it has ended up!:P:P

I, too, come from a disfunctional family. DH's family is wonderful and has been the rock I have needed to stay sane.

He has an older brother and two older sisters who are warm and loving and welcomed me into the family with open arms. They are non-judgmental and offer advice ONLY when asked.

I tried to make things work in MY family to please my dad, and when things kept getting worse, I decided I didn't need to please my dad--he was asking the impossible. If he wanted things to work out, HE was going to have to make the changes.

I just sort of disappeared and decided to let them come to me if they wanted my relationship. Haven't seen my brother or sister in two years. I guess that's proof that the feeling is mutual.

Since then I have made new friends and formed relationships with some wonderful people. My marriage has strengthened and I've discovered that I'm not alone.

Parting thoughts: Some have said that you can pick your friends, but you're stuck with your family.

I say: You don't have to settle for what you're stuck with, go find a new family!

Some say that blood is thicker than water. I say, get a transfusion before you have a heart attack!

I'm not bitter---just trying to look on the lighter side. Life is too short to harbor ill feelings.

BTW, Rita, if you and himself ever do re-locate to Oregon, be sure to settle close to Dundee. I would love to have you as a neighbor.

Archived