Thread cutter

MarieBrewer

I removed the plate under my hopping foot and cleaned it and now my thread cutter won't cut. I'm wondering if perhaps I have screwed the plate on too tight or if its too loose. The cutting mechanism moves as though it is doing its job, but the thread is not cutting. What can I do to correct the problem? Thanks-Marie

Hi Marie,

There are two little washers under each needle plate screw. A thick and thin. Make sure you got those put back or else you will be pinching your thread cutter arm that sits under that plate. Let us know if you need anything else.

Take care,

Okay, Mark, speaking of two little washers under the throat plate.....

I have a Liberty, no threadcutter, of course, but it came with the two little washers underneath the throatplate. I've left them there, because of course if I take them out, then the hopping foot is too high. Not only was I too chicken to mess with changing the level of the hopping foot, I didn't know if perhaps there was some reason that it was set up that way. When I take off the throatplate and put on the extended base, and back again, it's a great nuisance to have to keep the washers in place, and get the screws back in. I can't imagine there is any reason to have the two washers on my Liberty, is there? I would really like to get rid of them--I'll have to readjust the foot, of course--but want to make sure there is no reason that I should have the two washers on my Liberty before I doctor it up! How would I adjust the foot, by the way?

Thanks for the help!

Hi Lynn,

Yes, You can get rid of those washers! To make the adjustment, simpy put the needle in the lowest position and then there is a little hole in the right hand side cover, you need a straight screwdriver, loosen the screw in the hole and lower the foot to 1 business card above the needle plate..

Good Luck, let us know if you need help!

Mark-the washers are in the right spot and the thread cutter goes though the motions but doesn't clip the thread. It acts as though it is dull which I'm sure it isn't because I've only had the machine running for about 2 months. That's why I was wondering if the plate could be screwed down too loose or too tight.-Marie

Hi Marie,

If the arm is moving to the side, then the plate isn't too tight. If the arm is going into the cutter blades on the side, but not cutting the thread, then make sure there isn't any lint in the blades as that will hold them open too far and won't cut the thread. Or you may need to adjust those 2 little gold screws that hold the blades in place. Just don't overtighten them as this will hold the knife blades to close together and won't let the arm go in with the thread. Let us know if you need anything else.

Lynn...glad Connie got you answered..I went home at noon yesterday, terrible head cold. :(

Later,

Mark, I took the plate off and cleaned everything. I blew out lint from the plate and everywhere close to it. The blade simply will not cut the thread. You can see where it makes an attempt in the thread, but just can't complete the job. I screwed the plate on tight, I loosened it, and I get the same results. There is a notch in the moving blade. Is that normal? What's my next step? The moving arm does go all the way to the cutter but it goes pretty fast so it is hard to see what is really happening. Thanks-Marie (I'm leaving for Minneapolis tomorrow so I won't be able to communicate for a couple of days. )

Archived