Needle breakage

Jonick

I have had a millenium machine for about 5 years. I was so afraid to use it. Even when I took classes in Iowa and at the Houston Quilt Festival. Now I am a beginner, I loaded a quilt and did a meander pattern on it without incident. Feeling confident to attempt a second quilt, I loaded it and started quilting it with a loopy pattern. About one foot down my needle broke. Replaced the needle and went on for a short time and another needle broke. I was in stitch regulator mode and didn't have the quilt very taut. 6 Needles later, I had run out of bobbins. Went to the back of the machine to wind bobbins and noticed that where several of the needles had broken had ripped the backing fabric. I don't know if it is the timing or what. The machine has been maintained and oiled. Before these two quilts I had used a muslin sandwich to practice. The only thing that I did was I dropped the bobbin case on the floor. I feel very intimidated by this machine and was trying to overcome it when all of this happened. I was ready to sell the machine. I now have to rip out all of the quilting done on my macfhine. Any suggestions. All I have ever heard is practice, practice, practice....It is very frustrating.:(

Hi Jonick

I'm sorry you are having such a frustrating time. My first thought on the needle is did you unscrew the needle bar screw enough to fully insert the needle? Also, was the needle put in with the scarf in the correct direction? The scarf is the curved part of the needle where the hook finger passes to pick up the thread. The curve or protrusion of the needle should be at the front side.

Was the bobbin case inserted fully also. Did it click into place when you inserted it?

Archived