Continuous Binding on 60 degree angles

Dar

I need some advice on how to do a binding on a tablerunner with 60 degree angles. I do continuous bindings on all my quilts with no trouble (90 degree angles), but am stumped for some reason when it came to these angles. Can anyone tell me an easy way? Thanks Dar

Hi Dar,

Do you mean 120 degrees, not 60 degrees?:) That would be like binding a hexagon shape. Is that it? Anyway, sew the binding on as usual. Stop a quarter inch from the corner, back-stitch a few stitches and cut the thread. Flip the binding up as you would do for a 90 degree angle and lay the binding so it aligns out with the angle of the next straight section. Making sure the edge of the binding matches the point of the angle, fold the binding down, pin to secure, and start again. The fold-over will look weird since it won't line up but will angle in a bit. But it will work fine. When you wrap to the back, the binding will fold nicely and stitch on the back as usual. Have fun and I hope this helps.

Linda, Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not sure if I mean 120 degrees? It is the angle on those 5 seam tablerunners that were so popular last Christmas and before. You use a 60 degree ruler to cut out 3 triangles and put back 2 to make a continuous mitered design in the center. I tried sewing it the way you suggested and pinned it (not sewing) and it seems like there is so much bulk hanging off the back. I will try sewing maybe with big stitches in case I need to redo. This should not be so hard, right? Thanks again. Dar:D

I love those tablerunners! You use a border stripe to do them, don't you? They come out so pretty. I will do a mock-up of the binding to see what the back looks like.

Well, I tried it and the back looks fine. Just make sure the back pleat in the binding goes in the opposite direction than the front so they nest and don't have too much bulk on one side. Can we see a photo of your project when you finish? We love pics!

If you haven't figured it out yet, I'm a NEWBIE to this forum. I've been listening in for a long time enjoying all the conversations, pictures and learning bunches, but never had the nerve to jump in. Today is my first timing to post and reply. I don't know how to add an avatar or signatures much less a picture! But when it's finished, I will TRY. I like doing the binding by hand, so it will be a little while before it's done. I feel like I know many of you from reading the posts and would probably recognize you at MQS if I get to go this year.

Dar

Thank you very much Kay. I just watched it and she makes it look so easy. This will come in handy whenever I get to doing a bias curved binding. My current project is not so complicated, but I will master it yet. Thanks much for the resource. Now I can't wait to do a scalloped piece. :P:D

Archived