How do you quilt scalloped edges?

nopinklaundry

I am new to this forum and have been lurking and learning lots. Now I would like to ask.

I have a quilt that is screaming to have a scalloped edge. It has been sitting here for awhile looking at me forlornly wanting to be quilted but I don't know what to do.

How do I start this? Quilt first? Draw first? Cut first? I have done nothing to it yet, for fear of screwing it up.

Please help me!!!! Any and all advice is most welcome!!!!

Thank you,

Angela

Heavens, I would hate for a customer to cut the scallops before quilting.....that would be so hard....and as Heidi explained you would need to go around each one and then quilt...yikes. I would hope you never get one like that.

I however did get one years ago that was the pointy type of scallops...where there just wasn't any set in triangles and the points were left to flop. I spray basted each point down with Sullivan's Basting Spray as I would go down the quilt....after spraying I would stitich around each point and then quilt....so I guess it would work the same way for a regular scallop, but it wasn't a fun quilt to do.

I have just finished a quilt that the customer was going to scallop the edges of.

As it was a large border I adjusted a "Maggies Roses" pantograph so that it had a space at regular intervals for her to cut her scallops around. Took a bit of planning to work out the corners for it and I also had to turn the quilt to do the side borders.

I am yet to see how she has finished the scallops.

Ran out of time to cut the swag on the border of my own New York Beauty so just stitched a swag in the border using Constantine Quilts swag ruler. I did seem a shame to cut the border print fabric I used so the swag looked just as effective.

Lyn

Archived