PPP happenings!

Dib

The panto thing from the rear of the machine has been conquered. No problem, Zip right through - they look great. However.....today I moved the lazer to the front of the machine, set myself up with the "shelf" to put the block panto on and had at it. Yipes!!! The lazer made its way around an easy flower. When I was done and looked down there was just a mess of stitching and no flower in sight. This is the hardest thing I have done. Any tips?

Dib,

Make sure the laser light is as straight above the pattern as possible. When you have it angled it can stitch very skewed. As far as working from the front that just takes more ppp'ing! It is a different feel from the front. I also find that sometimes I put just one hand on the handles and I put the other on the quilt. For whatever reason this gives me more control. Hope that helps!

Well, the lazer light is at a pretty good angle. Does that long bar in the rear come off so it can be positioned in the front? I looked in my instructions and didn't see that. If that bar could be brought forward I could get the lazer to sit straight up and down. I have a friend in the metal trades business. I guess I could get him to make me an L-shaped rod to hold my lazer. Otherwise I'm stumped!

Dib,

Even with the laser mounted on the front, you shouldn't see as much "skew" or distortion as it sounds like you're getting. You shouldn't have to add any extension to make the front laser set up work properly. Put the laser near the top of the front laser post and not down toward the bottom. That will allow you to angle the beam closer to the sewing head.

Also, make sure that:

[*] the little "cap" is still on the laser (it looks like the rubber cap you'd find on a chair leg or the end of a spring-loaded curtain rod). If the cap is missing, the laser beam will look like a long "dash" instead of a "dot".

[*] The laser is tight on the post and is not turning as you quilt;

[*] Your table is not sliding around. Use something that "grabs" the leveler bar and the quilt top bar. Perhaps glue sandpaper strips to the curtain rods, or strips of rubber stair tread (the stuff you put on stairs to prevent falls--found in a hardware store);

[*] your paper pattern is secure on the acrylic table; use tape or another thin sheet of acrylic over the top of it to hold it in place. If ANYTHING shifts around as you quilt, (laser, table, pattern) you'll have distortion. But it shouldn't be caused by the angle of the beam.

[*] you are quilting with the table on the side that feels "natural" like when you look at a paper and then type on a computer; one side feels correct and the other side is awkward.

Hopefully one of these suggestions will get you on the "straight and narrow"! :P

Dawn, you are the Einstein of quilting, aren't you. Thanks a bunch! The lazer is not at the top of the post; the "shelf" was on the right and when I type I put my paper on the left and when I panto I am on the left. It all makes tooooo much sense! Thank you again! :D

Shana, the duck-tape idea may be a good one at that!:P

Archived