Vibration in machine handles

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

I had my machine serviced about 2 months ago. They replaced the brushes in the motor, installed new hopping foot, and new hook assembly. We got it all put back together, adjusted the wheels, etc, but now I have a vibration in the handles.

We have checked all the wheels and made adjustments. Wheels seem like they are adjusted properly. Machine glides on the table. We have check all the screws on the machine to make sure nothing is loose. Checked the hook and timing and it is all good. Checked for thread in the wheel and it is clean.

It vibrates in the handles when the machine is just running in manual mode and stitch regulated. Anyone have any ideas what to try next?

Thanks

Kim

When you speed up does the vibration go away? If so this is normal and every machine (cars, washing machins, etc) has an area that vibrates and then gets out of that range as you speed up or slow down.

I don't know (or remember) what the terminology is for this but one of our engineer/quilter folks probably knows the word.

Amy told me to turn the machine on and run in manual for a hour. Just let it run and let the new machine parts loosen up. While it was running I could hold onto the handles and feel the vibration. After it ran for an hour I put it in stitch regulated mode and stippled a quilt. The vibration continued. It got worse when in stitch regulated. Thanks for your help.

Hi Kim,

You will have to decide how much vibration you are willing to tolerate---and at what range it is on a scale of 1 to 10. The finest equipment when it is perfectly balanced dynamically has literally no vibrations. (as in 0) Quite frankly I have not found very many quilting machines with perfect balance which is odd in itself because with good balancing equipment a qualified machinist should be able to build such a machine.

If something mechanical vibrates it has not been well balanced internally and the wear and tear will eventually cause parts failure.

If you did not have these vibrations before, something is now out of balance for some reason. Also, the vibrations to your hands, wrists and upper arm is not good for you physically.

You will need to find the source to preserve your "parts" (hands, wrists)--- and also for your machine's sake as well, not mention you can't quilt well with vibrations going on. :(

Hope you can get to the root of it all soon.

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

When you speed up does the vibration go away? If so this is normal and every machine (cars, washing machins, etc) has an area that vibrates and then gets out of that range as you speed up or slow down.

Dennis the Brain says it's "harmonic resonance". But it should not be harmonic through the whole range of speeds! I hope you get satisfaction soon and are able to quilt again without feeling like you are riding a mototcycle! Good luck.

I find mine goes through phases of vibration I've been wondering it there is an atmospheric component to the problem. Fortunately for me it never happens at really high speeds (which I use most) so if it is a bad low speed day I try and do something else.

As several people have said the vibration should be a harmonic resonance and if you change the frequency (speed of the machine) it should change the level of vibration, hopefully down to nothing at some speeds.

Also I move my machine with my right hand and use my left to smooth the quilt. It I have minor vibration resting my left hand over the machine sometimes stops it entirely, (it acts as damping)

Ferret

Archived