my quilt is wavy on each side--Can I still fix it?

colenea

Lots of questions: Did you block it? Is it heavily quilted? Is the quilting density uniform throughout? How big is it? Is there a lot of bias in the blocks? (like setting triangles, half square triangles, etc.) Did you wash it and dry it in a machine, or block it on the floor, or hang it to air dry? Could you have over stretched the backing, or not kept it taught evenly? Is your wall straight? :D

Seriously, there are many factors that determine whether a quilt will hang properly. Sometimes it's the humidity in the air.:cool:

Give us some more hints, OK? and we'll see what we can do for you.

BTW Welcome newbie Colene.

Hi and welcome Colene!!

*****How to cheat to make a wallhanging lay flat*****

Weight the bottom edge.

Get a length of round metal rod at the home improvement store. Have it cut to a half inch less than the bottom edge of the wallhanging. Wrap with aluminum foil in case it will rust, and thread it through the bottom binding. You may need to adjust the stitching on the binding to get it to thread through.

Find drapery weights (sold in lengths that can be cut to size--usually these are metal balls encased in fabric) and hand-stitch a length to the bottom edge.

One guild-mate weighs her wallhangings down with little chesecloth bags of coins sewn onto the corners--removable for laundering.

Aren't quilters innovative?!:P

I'm working on a wedding wholecloth and had it blocked before binding. It was completley flat. I stitched on the binding just as I always do, glued it all out and laid it out to see how it looked and I almost got sick! It was the friendliest quilt you have ever seen! I called Bonnie of course and she couldn't figure it out either. She and I do our binding the exact same way. I tried laying it out on the floor and steaming it to see what happened but it didn't relax enough. I ended taking the binding off and starting from scratch. I had to let it relax some . I think what happened was that I had piano keyed the outside border every 1/2" with an 1/8" echo and that has some give to it because of all of the quilting. When I put the binding on I must have stretched it out. This time I pinned the binding on one side while it was laying flat, stitched and then laid it out again pinned the next side, etc until I was done. It now lays flat!

Archived