BREAKING NEEDLES

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG WHEN I TRY TO STITCH THE SIDE SEAMS OF THE QUILT I KEEP BREAKING NEEDLES

I CAN GO IN THE QUILT AND IT DOES OK

ARE MY CLAMPS CREATING A PROBLEM

ALSO DO I CLAMP THE BATTING AND THE BACKING

THANKS FOR ANY HELP RUTH

Hi Ruth,

Your best bet is to call 1-800-726-4233 and talk to the service department, they'll figure out why the needles are breaking and advise you correctly.

Did you buy your machine brand new? If so, talk to your dealer and find out when you can take your free beginners class, that will help answer alot of questions.

When I clamp my sides, I only clamp the backing fabric.

Hope this helps.

Ruth,

Nadia gives good advice. The question I would ask is are you using the needle up/down function? If so my guess is that your are moving the machine as the needle is coming up. Until you get used to how quickly you can move I would move the machine, needle down/up and when that is complete move the machine and then needle down up. Is that what you are doing? You also might have the sandwich too tight. I hope you get your problem resolved!

This is a very common problem that I have seen many times especially when basting the sides. When basting take your time and be sure that the needle is in the up position before moving the machine. More than likely you are moving the machine while the needle is down you can flex the needle into the hook and then the needle may be broken. Slow down when basting. It is best when you are a beginner to hold the needle up/down switch to baste. You were very lucky not to knock the machine out of time.

John

Hi Ruth

Are you trying to quilt through normal thicknes and density of fabric or through selvedge or thick seams that might cause the needle to deflect?

Are you using a Singer MR4 needle?

Are you quilting in stitch regulated mode or manual?

sue in australia

Ruth is working with a used ULT II and in doing so we don't have a needle up and down switch...we are either on or off....

Ruth you will need to turn your speed down about 2-4 and go slower, and not pull or push the head fast...as John said you will get needle flex and that will snap a needle very fast. I have made contact with some people near to you and they will be giving you a call soon as their schedules give them a moment to maybe visit and get you up and running.

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR HELP

I TALKED TO CHRISTY AT APQS AND SHE TOLD ME MY NEEDLE WAS TO SMALL I WAS USING 3.6 SHE SAID I NEED A 4.0 SHE ALSO TOLD ME THE BATTING WAS NOT A GOOD KIND TO USE (FUSABLE)

I AM LEARNING A LITTLE EACH DAY THANKS AGAIN RUTH

Archived