How thread unwinds from spool

bsalmon26

I have a problem that is ongoing. As the thread comes off a spool or cone, it seems to slightly catch. This causes the tension to tighten and it may, or may not, break. In any event, it causes unsightly stitches. I purchased the horizontal spool holders and the dual vertical cone holders which I have mounted to top front of my machine (Ult I). It makes no difference where I have the thread - front or back cones or spools - almost always happens. Thread type doesn't matter - Signature, King Tut, other Superior threads. The only thread that doesn't seem to pull is a very fine embroidery thread. I have used thread lubricant, but the best solution I have found is to manually pull some thread off the cone/spool and lay it across the back of the quilt. This is a pain - have to continually stop and pull off more thread. Something isn't right, but I don't know what it is. The pulling/catch is before it travels through any part of the machine. I have also tried putting cones/spools upside down - doesn't work at all. Any ideas? Thanks.

Brenda Salmon

Ultimate I

Brownsburg, Indiana

Have you tried using a thread sock? Another solution might be adding a piece of batting to the little loop that sits right above the thread spool. I found that the thread was kinda throwing itself off the spool sometimes and that would affect the tension. With the litlte piece of batting stuffed in that first loop, it seemed to stop the "flopping" action of the thread before it started through the machine.

It would seem strange that all different threads are doing it. I use lots of Superior and Signature threads and have not had any trouble.

Good luck!

Guest Linda S

Also try watching the thread as it goes through the thread path. You may have a burr in one of your pigtails, lint in your thread tension, or something else that is causing the thread to hang up like that. Snags along the route can cause the thread to break.

Linda

Maybe a thread sock will work The snag/catch occurs from the cone. It is pulling before it even goes through the 3-hole guide before the tension disk. I do use a piece of batting when threading from the back of the machine. Since it happens when the thread is on the back and on the front, a sock may do the trick. Full cones always snag - near empty cones aren't so bad.

Thanks for your help

Hi

Since the catching is happening before the thread goes through the machine it has to be the cone or the position of the first guide.

Just to check this out, you should put the cone on the back handle, left side of machine, cone holder and make sure that the guide directly above it has its loop directly over the centre of the cone. If it is to one side or the other it will cause the thread to get caught temporarily (with the exception perhaps of slippery threads). Sometimes the cone will want to move around so you can stuff the inside with wadding.

If this works, then you can try using your spool/coneholders. They need to be positioned in the right spot to feed off correctly.

How old is your machine, how much use has it had?

Let us know how you get on.

Sue in Australia

Just purchased some thread socks at a regional quilt show. I am anxious to try these. As soon as I get over this flu/upper respiratory/whatever it is bug (10 out of 17 people in my office have this nasty thing) I am going to try the sock! I hope none of you have to experience this flu/virus thing - it is awful! Thanks for all your suggestions.

I would tell you the same a Sue . Make sure you have the first thread guide in the correct position. It should be straight down. Not out to one side or the other. As this is happening with all threads I find it odd. It would make sense to me if it were cotton, as cotton thread tends to cling to it's self but not that much. I use the cone holder all the time and the spool holder often . I don't have any problems. Other than I needed to bend the hook at the top of the cone holder. Now Hartley is making them bent and longer (WAY COOL) If you are using spools make sure that the slit on the one end is on the bottom of the spool from the back of your machine, or going with the pull of the thread coming off the spool holder. If not it is sure catch. Also you may try the round clear Plexiglas on the bottom of the cone holder. Put it on the top of your spool or cones when you have your thread on the back cone holder (or front). The round disc is designed to aid in the pull of your thread. Try it, it works well. It keeps the thread coming off away from it's self. You will see what I mean when you try it.

You now it could also be the dry heat and the cold Indiana winters :o Speaking as a former Hoosier ;) I grew in there.

Myrna

I'm having a similar problem with the thread jumping out of the second last pigtail closest to the needle. Thread comes out of it and slips inside the metal casing that covers the front of the head. No idea why it does this but it does and breaks the thread every time.

Rita

Thread sock didn't make much difference. But, I think I have discovered the problem. Except for the last few days, it is dry during the winter in Indiana. You need humidifiers on your furnace. I really think my thread is very dry. I misted the cone with some tap water and put a little silicone at the base of the cone - much better. I have also discovered that a brand new or full cone causes more trouble than a cone with less thread. Thank you all for your help.

Brenda, I used to have that problem too and thought that misting and use of silicone spray would cure it, well it helped but it was not the answer. I have the same problem here in N/W Indiana with the furnace and AC in the summer but now that I been working with it for some time the problem has completely disappeared.

I made sure to line up the cones to be centered on the spool holder by making a spacer from a small old thread spool ( cutting off one flange , makes them fit into the larger cones) and placing that under the thread cone.

Then I made sure to center the first thread guide right over the cone . Inside the guide I wedged a small piece of batting to give a little friction which also keeps steady tension on the thread as it unwraps from the cone.

You can use poly or 80/20 batting for that. It works good on all but the slickest threads which require a thread sock. I will add a picture of it to my webshots studio Album later today. I have to finish a quilt first.

J?rgen

If we could get Darlene in on this, she'd have a tip on how the thread comes off the cone that she told us about in a workshop I took with her several years ago.

Hold the cone straight up...pull off about 2 feet of thread and loop it back on itself. If it winds on itself then you need to turn the cone upside down and try it again. It should not wind on itself, but just leave a big loop.

Sometimes the thread is wound "backwards" on the cone and should go onto the holder upside down so it will come off smoothly.

If this sounds spooky, it is but I've tried it and it works. I've had to file down the around the thread "hook" on the base of a Superior cone (the plastic ones that have a slit in the bottom) a time or two to keep the thread from catching on it as it came off, but otherwise....

Darlene's the expert on this. Like I say, maybe she'll see this and chime in.

Vicki

Thanks, Jurgen - this is a great idea. My thread guide is centered and I do use the batting trick. Since you can't really turn a cone upside down (at least I can't make it work), your idea is great. I'm going to try this.

I really don't think the cone is wound backwards, because that would mean all cones were wound backwards. I do think it is connected to the weather. Unfortunately, misting and silicone don't always work. The least troublesome quilting is done with a cone of thread that is only half "full". New cones are always a problem.

I love the front cone holders, but those thread guides aren't the best and can't be easily adjusted. I purposely purchased the front cone holders because I thought this would help the thread problem.

I am definitely going to try Jurgen's suggestion - this makes a lot of sense. Thanks again.

Archived