Buying a George for a Home Quilting Business

Not to discourage you, but George is a sit-down, push-through machine. George is like a big, ol', wonderful DSM as far as quilting with him. You must baste the layers, regulate your own stitch length with muscle-power, and push that quilt under the needle. Easier with a George than a normal-size DSM, and beautiful work is being produced on the George, but I believe the majority purchase George to finish their own quilts.

But....if you want a business, a Lenni would be the smallest I would go for everyday, all day long business quilting. A stitch regulator lets you pass one hurdle at the beginning. No PPP time to spend on that learning curve so you can start with pantos and overall designs at the beginning.

As far as the space issue, there are a multitude of solutions offered for placement of a larger table, from placing the table on an angle in a room, to removing closet doors to place the end of the frame in the closet.

Throw out some particulars here as to your space situation, and suggestions will pour forth! Welcome to the chat and hopefully you will get some advice you can use--and encouragement to take the next step!!

Hi,

I think, for a home business with limited space, the Lenni (or one of the other APQS longarm heads with a smaller table) is the best choice. As was pointed out by Linda, you still have to baste the quilts and push them around under the needle, with George---a labor of love, if you are finishing your own quilts, but if you are trying to make it cost-effective (counting your time) the stand-up machines that you can use with pantos and not deal with the basting would be a better answer for you.

I'll just bet there are some very creative solutions to the space problem out there. How about it? At the end of the bed in the spare bedroom? Out on the porch with one of those big RV covers over it :P where your husband's workbench used to be? Where else?? If you are going into business, you might want to think about renting some space for a studio--tax deductible, you know.

Claudia Myers

• 4 months later...

HI all,

Waiting for my milli :D for my home shoppe and was wanting to get a george but read somewhere that bernina quilters didn't like the stitch regulator when they free motioned so george will Never get to have one?! : ? My lower back was busted permanently 12+ yrs ago and b/c of the extensive/progressive nerve damage I can't sync my foot pedal speed with my hands movement and get spider web nests that you can't even begin to pick out and my project gets ruined. :( Are georges only for people not like me even if one would want the stitch regulator as an necessary option?? It would seem my only other option is a GMQ pro table which isn't as functionalble as I would like.

Have a great one! thx tam

I purchased the Millenium with 12 ft table and put it in my attached garage - no rooom in my house was big enough except my living room and I wasn't going to put it there. Millie fits beautifully in my garage.

In the summer, I can open my back door on the garage and the actual garage door and the breeze just floats through the garage. I have a fountain the backyard and when I'm quilting in the garage I can hear the water flow. Also, the light from having the garage door open is wonderful and I have a view of the front yard, back yard and the side window.

I am, however, having a new garage door put in with an R15 rating for the winter to keep the moisture out and the heat in. I already have one heater vent in the garage and will be adding another after I determine what to do with overhead lighting (for winter quilting). I even have cupboards in the garage for quliting supplies and a hutch which contains sewing items.

I'm purchasing a flat screen TV to put on the wall and having cable hooked up. That way I can watch quilting DVD's, movies or just listed to the music channels. What more could I ask for? If you have a garage, you have the space - "Make it so".....Mercedes

MMQSTATION -

I have a Liberty with a 10 ft table and got the wheels so I could move it around because the room its in is small and I do quilt both in the front and back. I have tried a George and its a nice machine, but was not my cup of tea. As Linda suggested, I agree the Lenni would be a great solution.

Tam - I have back problems too, and I sit down to quilt, and always have. A nice saddle chair is a wonderful addition to your longarm. I have a drafting chair for the front and a saddle chair/stool for doing pantos - yes I sit to do pantos!

I like the garage idea, as I have seen pictures of peoples sewing studios where they converted a garage. I especially like Mercedes flat screen idea!

Hey Beth,

I don't have a garage, but I do have quite large rooms and no family so to speak. I converted the original dining room into a sewing room. My milli will come with a 14' table/wheels and a saddle stool and if I ever get to the point to expansion there is plenty of yard room tgeside this 100+ yo house to add on to the side. I found saddle stools from a place next door in va called creekside quilting I think that carries them less expensive than compuquilt's and are taller and wider. whiich for me is perfect since I'm 5'10 w 36" leg but it didn't occur to me to get 2 of the stools one for the panto side which would solve the hassle of dragging the one stool back n forth. good idea. thx. since there doesn't seemed to be a stitch regulator for george I think I'll compare lenni to the george; maybe it would be a better compromise for a 2nd machine for greatere turnovere while the milli is running than a GMQ pro table and my other home machine; even with this big room I could easily run out of space with not much trouble. Without the stitch regulator I don't think George will be my cup of tea either. I reeelly need the stitch regulator for free motion jobs b/c of the nerve damage that effects my leg contol. I run my viking diamond by hand but it has no stitch regulator. More things to think about for the future. thx for the ideas.

Have a great one! thx tam :)

Archived