dropped needle, blown fuse

Hi George lovers, this is my first posting. Something weird happened yesterday, and I'd like to know if it has happened to anybody else. (I have only had George since March 14, so I'm a novice.)

I was sewing yesterday, and suddenly the needle fell, jambing George. He stopped dead, no lights, nothing.

Lesson learned: check the screw holding the needle in place when you change the bobbin to make sure it hasn't vibrated loose!

I figured out that the needle jamb caused the fuse to blow, and got new fuses at Radio Shack. In case you aren't aware, there is a tiny fuse just below where the electrical cord plugs into the back of George.

George runs fine with the new fuse, but then I had to polish the burr from the needle jamb off of the bobbin apparatus to stop breaking the cotton thread I was running. I got the emery cloth recommended in the George manual from an auto-supply store.

Thank you APQS for writing a good manual. It was Sunday, and I wanted to sew!

Linda

Oh poor George...that must have smarted!

Good for you, Linda, for changing the fuse and polishing the damage. I don't often check to make sure that the needle is tightly screwed...thanks for the head's up. Happy quilting! Nancy in Tucson

Linda, I haven't had George drop his needle, but have had it happen with my regular machines a time or two, the embroidery machine was fun!!!

My George blew a fuse back in November and confounded me until Sue from Australia diagnosed it andtold me where and how to find a fuse on him. If his lights stay on but he doesn't run, then he is working on blowing another fuse. Just another heads up.

Happy quilting, welcome to the George Club!

Madelyn

Archived