Statler Sticher Pricing

Hello and welcome, QQ:)

I believe the concensus about CG quilting (Statler, CQ, Quilt Studio, IQ) is that the customer usually does not know nor perhaps care HOW you stitch the designs on the quilt, so charging extra because you have a more expensive set-up probably will not fly.;)

The benefit to you as the quilter seems to be--less wear on the body, precision from the beginning so you may have paying customers sooner, the extra time available as your machine stitches to perhaps do other tasks like cutting fabric, and the speed you can attain for turn-around--meaning more quilts in less time if you have a customer base in place. So, a CG set-up will bring in money faster and pay for itself sooner, but it won't necessarily mean you can charge more for the quilting.

Did that make sense?:cool:

I agree with Linda - most of the customers are very aware of pricing and computer aided does not mean additional charging. I actually know of one lady who charges less for her pantos using the computer because she completes them quickly and they always look good so her repeat base of customers is very high.

An additional thought beyond the aspects that Linda talked about, concerns custom work - custom quilting is always higher (computer or no computer) and the actual cost is determined by the amount and quality of custom. You will be able to do some wonderful custom work with less stress using a computer system. Be aware though, that with custom, there is a tremendous amount of design time and you will have to stay close to your machine even though it is stitching for you. Custom also means that you will also be doing a fair amount of free-motion because the computer aided just can't do all of it. I believe in the computer aided quilting (I will be getting a system myself) - it is another tool just like the CL - just more expensive and it does more. But you also have to learn and keep up your free motion side - it is equally as important. There is no free ride. You will also have to spend the same amount of time loading the quilt, checking you tension, advancing the quilt, etc.

In the end, I feel that if you can afford it - go for it & if you do, don't sacrifice your free motion skills. I have noted that some of the best quilters that use a computer guided systems use the computer in conjunction with their free-motion quilting - take a look at JoAnn Hoffman's work. Her free motion is to die for!!! Good luck with your decision.

The analogy that I use is a manual or automatic transmission car. Manual being like a manual longarm and automatic like computer guided machine.

If you were using a taxi would you care which one the driver used? I doubt it. The customer of your quilting does not care either.

But a taxi driver still has to stay in the correct lane, use the brakes etc. etc. likewise a computer driven longarm still needs an operator too.

Bottom line I would not pay more for a taxi with an automatic transmission, but if I were the driver I would like one.

vg

Originally posted by ffq-lar

Hello and welcome, QQ:)

I believe the concensus about CG quilting (Statler, CQ, Quilt Studio, IQ) is that the customer usually does not know nor perhaps care HOW you stitch the designs on the quilt, so charging extra because you have a more expensive set-up probably will not fly.;)

The benefit to you as the quilter seems to be--less wear on the body, precision from the beginning so you may have paying customers sooner, the extra time available as your machine stitches to perhaps do other tasks like cutting fabric, and the speed you can attain for turn-around--meaning more quilts in less time if you have a customer base in place. So, a CG set-up will bring in money faster and pay for itself sooner, but it won't necessarily mean you can charge more for the quilting.

Did that make sense?:cool:

Thanks for the insight. I am in the evaluation process at this time. I would love to quilt for myself on the Statler Sticher, but that is not enough of a reason for the investment. it makes sense that the quilting world does not care how the quilting was actually done yet there is efficiency and ability to multi task with the computerized system. Thank you for your time and insight.;);)

Archived