quilting with a "harp" ring

LynnieD

This morning I was reading more in my manual about the hopping foot and how to adjust it for thicker layers to be sewn/thick batts/etc. And I went to the appendix on maintenance and read about adjusting the hopping foot. I also noticed the current height of the foot by putting my manual under it as it was at the highest point--page 93 to the end of the manual fits nicely there. I bet some of you never knew that, huh?

I didn't adjust the hopping foot in order to put my harp ring under the foot. (Ring by Sharon Schamber and used to hold sandwich while fmq.) But I want to know, does anyone else here use a harp while quilting? I've used it on my dm and just thought I'd continue to use it while using George.

Also, while quickly scanning the other appendix maintenance pages, I was a little intimidated by all the intricate instructions regarding various adjustments or repairs. Does any of this maintenance need to be done often? My normal op for my dm is clean the bobbin area, oil it and keep going. I've not yet watched the cd and maybe this part of "care & feeding" is covered on that... but it did leave me a little shaky and wondering if I'll be able to pull off some of these repairs when needed.

Lynnie - a little jittery this morning :o

Awwww, Lynnie. Don't be scared. When and if there is a need for repair, the wonderful technical support folks at apqs will be there for you. I've had my George for a year now. He hasn't required any repairs and just one adjustment of the needle up/down button. I use Sharon Schamber's halo all the time. To get it on George, I had to remove the throat plate (couldn't get the hopping foot high enough to push the halo under). Since that was a small hassle, that halo is dedicated to George. It hangs over the machine (by the light) when not in use. I bought another one for my domestic machine. Also, Jill Frazior (another George owner in TX) uses her halo with rulers to assist in straight line quilting. It's on an earlier thread in this forum.

The one thing I do differently to maintain George as opposed to my domestic sewing machine is that every Saturday he gets a spa treatment with WD 40. Directions should be in your manual but you blow out any lint, squirt the WD 40 and run the machine for a minute at medium speed, wipe and/or blow out the excess WD 40, then oil as usual. I always sew on a scrap sandwich for several minutes after oiling just to make sure that no oil transfers to my real quilts but George always sews happily after his spa treatments. Enjoy him! Nancy

Thanks Nancy, I appreciate your telling me how to install the halo. I don't mind dedicating it to George--that's where I'll be doing most of my fmq anyway.

Yes, I did read about the WD 40 treatments. Fortunately, that discussion in the manual didn't freak me out. :) I'll be sure to pay attention to that treatment routinely.

Lynnie --feeling much better now

Using a halo is very much like holding the steering wheel driving a car. You don't need gloves and the weight of it holds the sandwich down and snug while you quilt only in the halo area. It easily slides to a new area so you can begin quilting again. And the 6" ruler fits in it to allow you to make straight seams while fmq. The best thing IMHO is that my hands have less stress on them since I'm guiding the halo holding the sandwich together instead of dragging the quilt with my hands. My jerkey moves seemed to even out more using it.

Lynnie

Thanks Lynnie, it is so nice to hear why and how it works for someone instead of only the promotional blurbs. I'll need to find that site again to order one. I have about 7 quilts in progress that need me to get at them, most of them are tops completed, even a couple already pin basted.

Madelyn

The Halo was developed by Sharon Schamber and should be available directly from her website or at her daughter's website Purple Daisies. I keep one on George and one ready to use with my Bernina or Brother. Since Sharon has a tremor, she uses 2 Halos stacked on each other and says this will help for anyone with hand problems. Love it!

Nancy in Tucson

Originally posted by Neher-in-law5

Thanks Lynnie, it is so nice to hear why and how it works for someone instead of only the promotional blurbs. I'll need to find that site again to order one. I have about 7 quilts in progress that need me to get at them, most of them are tops completed, even a couple already pin basted.

Madelyn

OK, how is this used on the long-arm? You mention dragging the quilt? I drag my machine. Please explain, I'm not getting it.

hhahhahaha, Carol, no, you don't drag a quilt on a long arm. Right, you drag the machine.

But on a DM or George, you drag the quilt. It's just two different ways of quilting. Some prefer your way... others prefer the DM/George way. Maybe it's got something to do with the way you learned to FMQ... I don't know. My preference is to drag the quilt.

You'd not use a halo with the frame/LA combo. It just couldn't work unless you were using it to make a shape like an ark or circle. But then you've got wonderful ruler guides for that, right? The halo definitely wouldn't be for the LA.

HTH,

Lynnie

Having spent last Tuesday in a class on Domestic Feathers with Sharyn Schamber I can defintely vouch for her "halo", not just her psychic one.

She whizzed around with her double halo with no problems.

I would have purchased one but I was using my Machinger gloves and couldn't justify the purchase when all of my quilting is now on the longarm.

It was a lot easier with the halo as you don't need to take the gloves on and off to cut/tie threads etc which annoys me. Many of the girls & guy started with other aides and by the end of the day they all had their "haloes" on.

It gives you about twice the space to quilt in as the "Hoop" your hands make with traditional quilting and is alot easier to plop and place than anything else I have seen.

You will still need to baste etc as it is not holding ther 3 layers, just a weighty circle with a rough rubbery coating.

Lyn

Thanks, Nancy, for setting me straight on how to get George to accept the Halo. I should have read this post first before I asked the question on the other post.

Lynnie, I will echo Nancy's comment--don't worry about the technical stuff. I've had my George for four+ years, now, and have never done anything but basic maintainance--keep your wicks wet (that sounds X-rated, doesn't it?), blow out the dirt in the bobbin area and put a drop of oil on the hook.

I once jammed a needle down into the bobbin case so hard that it flared out the edge of a metal bobbin---and didn't even hurt the timing. George is a tough guy!

Claudia M.

Archived