Binding Help Please!!!!

I just went back through my emails and found these instructions I had written for my MIL

Stitch the binding to the quilt top on the front in the usual way – stopping and starting each side ¼ inch from the corners.

Take a piece of template plastic, stiff cardboard or a business card.

Draw a line through one corner at 45 degrees.  Call this line fold of binding.

Draw another line ½ inch below this line and parallel to it.  Call this line the stitched line.

Draw another line ½ inch above the centre line.  Call this line the fold to back edge of binding.

Get the corner of the quilt you want to mitre and fold the binding to back as if about to stitch it.  Press where the fold to the back is.

Fold the quilt in half through the corner you want to mitre, with the wrong sides together, binding edges together.  Secure with a pin.

Place the corner tool so that the centre line of the tool is on the fold line of the binding( the one you just pressed) and the point is to the ends of the binding.

Keeping the centre of the tool on the fold line, line up the edge of the tool at the point ¼ inch from the corner where you stopped sewing the binding to the top.  Trace around the pointed corner of the tool.  The stitch on this line.  I usually start in the centre, reverse to the edge, come back to the centre, forward to the seam then reverse to the centre.

Clear as Mud?????

Hope it helps

Lyn in Australia

Archived