Binding Help Please!!!!

Yes, you sew them on the diagonal. I overlap the 2 ends as much as they are wide and cut them to that length. That is if I have my binding cut to 2 1/2 inches then I overlap the binding ends 2 1/2 inches and cut them. Then I line them up perpendicular, like you sew the binding pieces together, and sew on the diagonal.

Clear as mud?

I'll see if I can find someplace that shows how this is done.

Are you talking about creating your length of binding or actually attaching it to the quilt.

When I do binding I create enough to go all around the quilt, plus about 12 or 14 inches.

To create the binding I do sew the pieces together on the diagonal (by placing them at right angles to one another and stitching on the diagonal.

To attach to the quilt I just start about halfway down one side and stitch it on. When I get to the corner I flip up the binding to a 45 degree angle, take a stitch, leave the needle down and make the turn. Then I continue on.

Not sure if this is what you needed or not.

Okay got it, I just couldn't remember how to join the last section. Working on a quilt that was going to be a donation quilt, but...my Grandaughter came over and sewed on it (First time sewing on machine) the other day with me and I think I have decided it will go away for awhile and will come out when she has her first baby. See if she remembers it. So now back to more squares for the donation quilt;) Thanks for the quick responses!

I used to really struggle to join the two ends on the diagonal to finish the last stretch of binding until I broke down and bought Fons and Porters binding tool. Now when I get to the end of sewing on the binding I just whip out that little gem and follow the directions on it. My binding turns out everytime.;)

Originally posted by jmcclannan

I used to really struggle to join the two ends on the diagonal to finish the last stretch of binding until I broke down and bought Fons and Porters binding tool. Now when I get to the end of sewing on the binding I just whip out that little gem and follow the directions on it. My binding turns out everytime.;)

I must get this tool. I must get this. I must.

I use this tool also-it makes it so easy unless you have a senior moment and turn the ends wrong and it's twisted after you sew it!!! It is the right length but twisted. I am glad I never cut the excess until I make sure I did it right:D

I also love the Fons and Porter binding tool, though like Julia, have had a couple of senior moments with getting the binding twisted:D

I have added a link for the Binding tool, plus a link for a PDF file from Sharon Schamber and video on Binding which I found very interesting.

http://www.shopfonsandporter.com/productdetail/FPR7892.htm

http://sharonschambernetwork.com/free_area/videos/binding_angel/index.html

http://www.sharonschamber.com/free%20stuff/images/Binding%20Class.pdf

I do my corners the same as you do Ferret. Never fails. I have a quilt shop and I have customers that still insist on doing the miters the old fashioned way and this tool would really help them. Some will just tuck the tails and have this lump on the edge. I keep trying to teach them the proper ways.

Originally posted by Ferret

I avoid the join by putting binding on in four sections and stitching the corner miters. It's more reliable for me and takes about the same time. Ferret

Originally posted by lizziesgirl

I do my corners the same as you do Ferret. Never fails. I have a quilt shop and I have customers that still insist on doing the miters the old fashioned way and this tool would really help them. Some will just tuck the tails and have this lump on the edge. I keep trying to teach them the proper ways.

Ferret and Sheryl, would you share how you stitch all four sides separately and then join your miter corners together? I am curious to learn this method.

Shana I looked on You Tube thinking they have got to have something on there the way I make mine, but NO. So what I will do is take step by step pictures when I do a binding, which I have one I will be putting on tomorrow. There is a tool out by Animas Quilts that shows you the directions but unless you see it, it really doesn't make sense, at least for me it didn't.

I learned it from Ricky Tims Grand Finale DVD. I am amazed there isn't anything on you tube, but I can't find anything. It sounds like Sheryl is going to get there first but if not I will post the next one I do. It's a shame I was teaching it yesterday and could have photographed it. Oh well.

Ferret

Archived