T-Shirt Quilt - Skipping Stitches

I need some advice from all you experts. I have been working on a T-shirt quilt. I can not seem to go over the shirt and not get skipped stitches or having the thread break.

I have put sulvy over the section and sometimes it helps but not completely. I have changed tension, new needle but still fighting with it.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am sure this gal will come with more. I did one for her quite some time ago but don't remember having so much trouble.

Thanks

Another thing to consider is to use silcone or sewers aid on your thread cone, I use Mono for T-shirt quilts, works fine & I dont have to worry about the thread looking heavy.

Hope this helps.;)

I get a lot of T-Shirt quilts. I usually use Signature in both top and bottom, but have used Bottom Line. Needle 4.0, just because I am a slow learner and didn't think about using a smaller needle:). The only problem I have is that the machine "bogs" down a little if the design is heavy - like the thick, coated paint, stuff that some shirts have. When I know those are coming up I just slow down and take it easy through the design. At one point I was having thread breaking problems but found that my timing was off a bit. Since that has been fixed all of the hair that I pulled out has grown back, and I enjoy quilting:D.

I did three T-shirt quilts last year........ I found I couldnt go over the puffy foam at all..... or it tends to tear.......

I did go around anything that was painted on.......sort of echo quilt it..... of if its writing you can sort of stipple there with some sort of wavy open stipple........

It went great........ altho I did have to change needles between quilts. that iron on stuff tended to dull the needle.

Linda Susie

Thanks so much for all the info. I sure my hair grows back like Linda said hers did. I made it through it and customer very happy with the end result.

I will try the silcone and smaller needle next time. I use a silcone pad on my embroidery machine all the time so have liquid and use it after the tension just before the needle.

I will try to post a picture and hope it comes out. The quilt was 100X100 and also had T-shirts on the back. Forgot to take picture of that side.

Thanks again to all.

Archived