Questions about the Freedom

Hi,

I am interested in purchasing a Freedom. I received the info packet from APQS but have a few questions.

First, how many inches of quilting area is there when a quilt is on the frame? Maybe a clearer way to ask this is how many inches are between the quilt roll at the back of the machine throat to the front roll?

Second, what is a pantograph?

Is it a pain to not have power fabric advance?

Why have the option of overhead wiring? Does it really matter?

What is the 'single-stitch function' option? Why would I want that?

What is the difference between the universal table and the convertible table?

Is it difficult to change the height of the table without hydraulics?

That should do it for now! I am sure I will think of more questions later! :)

Thank you for any advice!!

Jean

Hi Jean,

I would be happy to help you, I know that there are "SEW" many questions & concerns!

I do have several machines for sale, & would be happy to chat quilting & help you sort through things if you want to drop me a line or give me a call any time.

Happy Quilting to you!

Linda "Jean" ;)

First, how many inches of quilting area is there when a quilt is on the frame? Maybe a clearer way to ask this is how many inches are between the quilt roll at the back of the machine throat to the front roll?

I am not an APQS dealer but I will try to answer your questions. The dealers are eager to sell you a machine so you can contact any of them for better info than I'm able to give.

I believe the Millennium has about 19 - 20" and the Freedom has the same amount.

The patterns on a roll that you lay out on the table and follow with a laser. Not sure how much you can see but here's an example of the Divine Vine panto I did on a quilt. http://community.webshots.com/photo/251017383/1276816718033860431gfJhCy

I don't have it on my Millennium and it isn't a pain. I'm guessing that once you get used to it, you love it and couldn't live without it. But it definitely isn't something you can't live without.

Once upon a time the machines came with a curly cord and the overheard wiring was really helpful. Now the machines come with a straight cord and I haven't used my overheard wiring with this cord and things are fine. Even the machines that came with the curly cord, I think you can order a straight cord for them now.

If you're asking about the auto needle positioner, you can read about it here: http://apqs.com/comparepositioner.htm

What is the difference between the universal table and the convertible table?

Not sure they still make the convertable table. If you're talking about the aluminum alloy table, you can read about it here: http://apqs.com/comparetable.htm

I am the only one who quilts on my machine and I never change the height. Do not have hydraulics . . can't answer this question.

Good luck with your decision.

Judy,

Great job on the amswers to Jeans question, We love informed machne owners.

Jean. I like your Gnfishn, When you get your freedom you will have to add gnquiltin! :)

The advance feed is awesome, but if you can't swinng it when you order your machine it can be added at a later date.

The hydraulics are very nice as well but again it can be added later should you decide to. If you are the only one usign your machine you can set your table the height you like and leave it there.

The single stitch is something you for sure want. If not you have to turn the flywheel by hand to raise and lower your needle. Not fun.

The Freedom is now available in S/R if that is something you are interested in.

Ask all the question you can think of. This is a great place to do it.

Myrna

gosh I need a spell check ;) Where are you located? We have several show coming up to go check out the machines as well as reps all over the country.

April 6-9 Quilters' Heritage Celebration in Lancaster, Penn.

Lancaster Host Resort & Convention Center

Web Site: http://www.qhconline.com

April 6-8 HMSQ Salt Lake City

South Towne Exposition Center

www.hmqs.org

April 7-9 Spring International Quilt Festival)

Donald E. Stephens Convention Center, Roseville, Illinois (Chicago)

Web Site: http://www.quilts.com

April 19-22 MQX Machine Quilters Exposition

The Radisson Hotel in Manchester, New Hampshire

Web Site: http://www.machinequiltersexpo.com/

April 26-29 American Quilter's Society: 22nd Annual AQS Quilt Show

Paducah Expo Center, Paducah, Kentucky

Web Site: http://www.americanquilter.com

Or as Linda and Judy said find a rep close to you to test drive a machine.

Myrna

Myrna

Hey Judy

Your response was spot on and very informative. I agree with everything both you and Myrna said. I didn't have motorised feed for quite a few years, and when we moved a couple of years ago I didn't put it on straight away and didn't miss it too much.

As the girls said you can put it on later, all you need is an allan key.

Good luck with your machine choice and keep coming back here if you have questions, there is always someone ready to help.

Best wishes

Sue in Australia

Hi Jean! I don't have the freedom, but I do have the Ultimate I which is the older version on the freedom. I also have the Ultimate II (old version of Discovery) I'll also try to answer your questions:

First, how many inches of quilting area is there when a quilt is on the frame?

Not sure of the exact measurement is, but is is plenty wide enough - any wider and you wouldn't be able to reach anyways. I've got the smaller machine as well, and it only causes me a little grief sometimes.

A pantograph is a pattern that is on a roll that you use your laser to follow the lines with. They come in a variety of sizes - as far as I know they all work with the Freedom - but you need to be careful with the smaller machines, like my Ultimate I, as the throat space isn't always wide enough for some of the wider interlocking patterns on a queen+ quilt. I have a few that I can't use on that machine, but have had no problems at all on the larger machine - which is like the Freedom that you're interested in.

I don't have it - would like it someday, but it isn't a necessity at all in my opinion.

I don't have it on either of my machines.

Now this I know about -- I have it on one machine. It is definately worth it. Without it your thumbs get a workout trying to click the power on and off quick enough to get just one stitch -- or you have to move the flywheel manually. With the one-stitch button - it's so easy. I never really new how great it was until my second machine arrived and had it. Trust me - it's worth it!

What is the difference between the universal table and the convertible

table?

Sorry, can't answer this one.

I'm the only operator of my machines so they are set for me and I never change them, so personally, I wouldn't get use out of it.

That should do it for now! I am sure I will think of more questions later!

Good Luck!

Sue S

Thank you so much for all of the help! It is looking like this will become a reality instead of just a dream!

I also have decided that I must have the stitch length regulator (or whatever it is called). I was concerned from the very beginning about how to get the stitches nice and even. So this attribute will definately give my quilting a much more professional and even look.

If you don't like a lot of noise don't get the power feed. To me it makes a lot of noise, and the family room is right next to my quilting room.

The overhead wring would only matter where you had to plug it in. I have compuquilter and so mine is pluged in on the pantograph side. I ran out of outlets on the end. But as of right now I only use the computer.

annkathryn

Archived