help for beginner

I am a new millie owner and have been having alot of fun practicing on my own quilts. Everytime I load a quilt, I learn from my mistakes and believe me, I am very learned! I am trying to make sure everything stays square and was wondering how to square up the backing. I am following Darlene Epp's float technique for loading and wonder if anyone else has trouble securing the top while basting it down. I am open to any and all suggestions!

My husband is also enjoying using the longarm, his eye hand coordination is very good and thinks the zippered leaders would make everything easier. Any suggestions from quilters who either use them or have tried them?

All help is appreciated!

Lori Hufford

Lori,

I square the back just like I would it I were getting ready to cut my first strip from a piece of fabric. You know, even up the edges, making sure there is no twist in the fabric, then fold it again so that you have 4 layers, making sure that is even with no twists, then use your straight edge or ruler and cut off the uneven edge. Works for me. If someone knows and easier way, I am all ears. Hope this works for you.

Mary Beth

Archived