One way to open a locked car door.

If you have an extra remote key (the kind you push the button to open the door) and you lock your key inside the car, call your spouse or someone who also has a remote to your car. While on the phone, put your phone next to the door lock and have the other person push the button on their remote next to the phone they are on. The car door will unlock. Yup, really works. Good to get a copy of the key made and leave the extra remote with someone who isn't taking the trip. ;)

I sure wish it would have I was 30 miles from home and dh had to rescue me. It was storming BAD and I was scared to death! However you can call a dealership and they have codes for the keys to your car and you can have them make one for you about 40 bucks for this service, but when you are in a bind???? Be prepared to give ID or no key....:o

Originally posted by Front Porch Quilting

However you can call a dealership and they have codes for the keys to your car and you can have them make one for you about 40 bucks for this service, but when you are in a bind???? Be prepared to give ID or no key....:o

OKAY where do you live my replacement key cost 180.00 for one key. I called several dealerships and they ALL said the same thing.

I think the car keys with the security chip on them are the expensive ones. I'm not sure if a locksmith can make one of these keys or if you have to get them from a dealer, but you can't just run into a hardware store for one. When I was still working I always went out at noon just to get out of the office. One day I was buying things for the grandkids, opened the trunk and dropped the packages in and went into another store. When I returned to the car I reached into my pocket, where I always kept my car keys when I was running errands, and the key wasn't there. I finally realized I must have dropped it in the trunk when I put the packages into it. A policeman was driving by and I flagged him down but he couldn't get the car or trunk open. I had to call my boss to come and get me and I was sooooo embarassed! Fortunately DH was coming into town that day so he could bring an extra set of keys. I worked 37 miles from home, which was a 1 hour drive, so I was glad he didn't have to come just to bring the keys to me.

John - Yes it worked for me. My husband clicked his key into the phone and I held my phone next to the door lock. Voila, it opened. Sorry it doesn't work for you guys. Worked for my daughter too. Hmmm, wonder why only works sometimes. Glad to know I'm covered.:)

Archived