Thread Cutter Not Working on New Millie

My thread cutter stopped working a short time after I got my Millie. I was on the phone with Amy on another matter and asked her about it. She said to turn the two screws that are inside the circle cutout of the acrylic plate (to the left of the needle) a tiny bit. Righty tighty, lefty loosie. :) This fixed my problem. I have had to do it a couple of times since. Don't know if the machine vibration causes them to come loose a little, but this fixes the problem for me.

• 1 year later...

I took off the cover for the thread cutter and found it has a small v shaped chip out of it probably when we broke a needle which hardly ever happens. I need to get a new knife and try to install it myself. Any help would be appreciated. I plan on attending a quilt show put on by Mancuso in Oaks PA on Saturday unless we close the pool that day. Maybe if I call and see if the can get me a new knife

Marion,

that little notch you see is supposed to be there...you didn't do it:).

the part that actually cuts the thread are two blades under the clear plexiglas cover. The piece you are seeing is not the blade. It's actually a "sweeper"....the arm grabs the thread, and the thread slides along that arm until it gets caught in that little notch you see. That pulls the thread taut so that the arm can pull the thread between the two blades under the plastic cover.

As Carmen mentioned, if the cutter won't "cut" then the blades may be slightly misaligned. Those two blades are kept apart by tiny "wave" washers that keep the blades apart, but allow the thread to be cut. If their alignment is off, the cutter may not slice the thread. Tightening each of the little screws just a tiny bit will cause those wave washers to compress a little, exposing more of the slicing blades.

This should help make the cutter "cut"!

Archived