Question about block of month and patterns

If you are going to sign up for a block of the month from somebody's website, are you willing to pay $1 or $2 for the PDF file of the pattern, or do you exclusively go to free ones?

Next question. How much would you pay for a full sized wholecloth pattern (40" square)? (60" square)?

How much would you pay for complete quilt patterns to make a full sized quilt (these would be mailed)?

Also, when you look on ebay for quilt tops, what kinds of things are you looking for and how much are you willing to pay?

Sorry for all the questions. I just need to finish this research so I can figure out what is best to do. It is definitely time for a career change.

As far as ebay is concerned...I look for ooak quilt tops. Generally hand applique or pieced if the pattern is very unique. The workmanship needs to be handmade in the USA (not outsourced) for me to buy it. I love batiks...so they always catch my eye!

For patterns...I generally pay $8-10 for a quilt pattern.

BOM...I like free...but if the pattern is unique and very different than anything I have seen before...I would be willing to pay a small fee.

I am guessing you are looking into pattern design. Did you ever find a printer? My husband owns a HP 8100 IPF large format printer. He can print up to 42" wide by 300 feet long.

I'm not much help. I've always had the attitude that "I can make it myself, why do I need a pattern?" I like free BOM and the camaraderie of quilters it involves. Quilt Patterns--not over $10, and more likely to spend $5-6 for a full size, or $3-4 for a wall hanging. Although, I did spend $21 for an Amy Bradley book for her fun baby faces and barn yard animals. I don't shop on Ebay.

Career change? Hummmmmm I hope you find a nice niche. You are very talented and have a gift for organization. Must be a school teacher;)

Bonnie and Kristina, thanks for the input. I have a couple of things in the works. Nothing concrete yet.

I am definitely looking for a different job. I have asked for a transfer to a lower grade in the district where I currently teach, and I have applied in various districts within 50 miles of our house.

Teresa,

For me I can't say that I have a set price in mind but I look at the quality and go from there. If it is a unique pattern or unique technique I'll buy the pattern. I find that I get a lot of patterns and I could re-write the directions so much more clearly. I have found that when I write directions for my guild or students in classes what they like most is that I put pictures of each step. They like details and they like hints. Good luck!

Just my 2 cents. I work for a quilt shop and my boss has a big pattern line. We stay away from any form of download because that makes it that much easier for people to steal your pattern and you worked hard for it and deserve to get paid for your time. If you look at what goes into making a commercial pattern to sell its a lot of money and work up front. First you need to think up the design, then you write it as you make a sample, then you have someone else make it from your pattern to check for errors, then you correct your pattern, then you have your quilt quilted and professionally photographed for your cover, then you find a printer to print your patterns, then you stuff your patterns into bags (because all those cute packages that do not have a hole to hang on a slat wall peg don't sell very well in a quilt shop because they are hard to display), then you hock them to every person you can think of. It takes awhile for a pattern to become profitable. I do think a lap size or bigger quilt that has 4 or more pages should sell for $9.00 and up, a simple pattern with 2 or less pages should sell for $4.00, and most of our block of the month patterns are anywhere from $24 to $32 per pattern these are retail because whole sale to shops will be half this price, but if you wholesale to a large distributer like checker you have to give them 20% off your whole sale price.

But seeing someone show you there rendition of your pattern that is priceless.

I would love to see more whole cloth patterns available. I would pay a pretty decent price for these because of the time it would save in designing them. I typically make my own patterns up. Usually as I go. LOL. I have never done a BOM pattern.

I also would love to see more whole cloth patterns. I've paid $25 and more for nice paper WC patterns, with no instructions on how to quilt or what to do. I'd be willing pay extra for sample stitch out photo's and instructions that goes along with the whole cloth pattern if this were available. You could even separately sell several different stitch out suggestions for the same whole cloth pattern, giving the customer a choice.

I'm also always on the look out for what I call Long Arm opportunity quilt patterns; Meaning; A Fairly easy or quilck Pattern which has a far amount of open quilting space. Or patterns that lend themselves towards custom quilting. So many of the patterns out now are best quilted E2E. Again I'd pay extra for good photos and instructions with suggestions about how to custom machine quilt the pattern.

Good Luck on your new adventure.

Archived