setting up a border

peglu

Guess I am brain dead today. For the life of me I can't figure out how to figure out how to set up a beadboard border. (Surprised I can even say it today:P). My border is 74 inches across the top, 95 if you include the side borders. How in the heck do I figure out where to start and how wide to make the 'keys'? Someone please help me save a few brain cells please.

I used adding machine tape/paper. Cut it to the length of my border and started folding. Got a size I liked, cut a little corner off and used that to mark the initial line. Then I just went 1/4" +/- for the beadboard. I'm using the same piece of paper for the lengthwise borders and figure I'll adjust toward the bottom, if necessary.

Does that make sense??

If the piecing is even, use that for spacing. Even if there is a smaller first border, you can use the piecing. Needle down on the piecing seam, needle up, move down about an eighth of an inch (eyeball is fine), engage the channel locks, needle up, travel to the border seam, needle down, engage the SR, stitch out to the edge. To space the beadboard--use your hopping foot for spacing, then stitch back to the inner seam. That eighth of an inch eyeball is to make the beadboard narrow channel (a quarter inch) straddle the piecing seam. Did that make sense?

If you do piano keys instead of beadboard, you will use the piecing seams alone, of course.

Archived