stitching over fusible web applique

Hi...I have a quilt top with some nice fusible web applique on it....I want to stitch over it but never have before....can I quilt over it (to enhance the design ) and in several spots there is fusible web over fusible web.....will the needle go through this? will I gum up the needle? what if I need to rip out??? this could be a mess??? anyone w/experience with this or any comments / suggestions I would be most grateful!! THANK YOU:)

• 3 months later...

My question too is about fusible web and quilting through it. I have had good results quilting through layers which have been fused, go for it and have fun! My question is ... is there a difference in speed or tension or something else that I need to adjust on the machine if I go from 3 layers (top batt and bottom) to 5 or 6 or even 7 layers? Sometimes with another layer of batting too? Thanks!

When I do my applique quilts I use some fusible web. I will just tell you what experiences I have had, and believe me I am no expert at it. If you use Steam A Seam Lite it is easy to quilt through, even 2 or 3 layers. If you use StitchWitchery or HeatnBond it is hard to sew through. I use a 4 needle when sewing through this stuff. I also have to play with the tension a little bit, usually loosen the top one about 1/2 a turn.

Also, change needles frequently.

I know this isn't much, but I hope it helps.

I've never had a problem stitching throug fusables though the machine makes a little different sound if it's pretty heavy stuff. I do use 40 wt thread on them rather than going with a 50 wt. I can't attest to what types of fuseables were used as they were customer quilts and I never ask that question.

Archived