Gridded Fabric?

Just wondering if you can actually purchase fabric that's already printed with grids? I'd really like to find some of this for practicing instead of having to draw lines on the fabric before loading. Does anyone know where I could find this type of fabric or am I dreaming?

Thanks...Mercedes(Kay)

Hi Kay,

Are you talking about fabric divided into blocks for you to practice designs in? Just load some fabric, engage your channel locks and stitch the block size you want. Do the horizontal first and then the vertical. This will get you used to the buttons for the channel locks. Place your design choices in each block, advance and make some more "grid". Having the blocks stitched also will get you comfortable with stitching up to seam lines and staying inside specific areas.

If you are talking about a patterned fabric, there are several faintly printed fabrics made specifically for machine quilting practice. The designs include feathers, sashing designs, borders, overalls, lotsa great things to practice. These are available on-line and at many quilt shops.

It sounds like you have hit the ground running!! :D Have a great time with your machine!

Hi,

You can sure tell I'm a beginner - I will use the channel locks and make my own grids - great practice doing the grids and then the designs inside - Thanks for that tip!

I will check my favorite fabric stores and see if I can find the preprinted fabrics with feathers, etc on them. It'll be an easy way for me to practice with the machine and get used to throwing that weight around. I am so excited to have this machine and learn all these techniques - a challenge for sure! Thanks....Mercedes(Kay)

Another tip if you get the pre-printed fabric--stitch the patterns several times with the needle unthreaded. That is also practice--it will train your eyes and your muscles. Then stitch the pattern with thread. You can then use a contrasting color thread and stitch several more times!! Might as well get your money's worth;):P

Here's another suggestion. Quite often on ebay there are cheater quilt tops really cheap. They come in all sizes. What I liked about them was I wasn't wasting "good" fabric and HARD work piecing a quilt top and then using it just for practise. So by using a cheater quilt top you have all the spaces that you would have on a "real" quilt top, so you have an opportunity to practise many, many types of LA quilting, SID, feathers, cross-hatching.......the list goes on and on. When you're done you can always donate the quilt or keep it as a sample of ideas you might have.

Archived