Quilts for sale - how to price realistically?

Hello Linzi,

I just had a big dummy spit on:

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=15028&page=1#pid206289

Remember, you are now a published Artist and Quilt Maker.... make sure to advertise this fact and get a fair price!! Do you want your creation to go to a home where it is not properly valued? I think not!

Also- Congrats on becoming the UK Rep!! Hard work, but you have the passion and will be great at it!

Regards,

Originally posted by sewlinzi

It is 100" square. I reckon the materials cost £200/$320 and I lost count of the hours but maybe 200+. If I charged £10 per hour that would be a total of £2200 or $3520. ...I think they would faint if you even suggested £1000/$1600.So just how do you settle on a fair price?

Originally posted by sewlinzi

But WHAT to charge?! I agree that a painting would cost far more.

Linzi, I can't truly tell you how much you should set a fair price for BK, but I'll just say that the fair price is what the seller is willing to give it and what the buyer is willing to pay for it. Perhaps you can be brutally honest and educate potential buyer about how much time (blood, sweat, tears) and materials went into it and do a rough calculation of the costs of materials + labor so they get an idea. That said, you can't give it away, of course! Don't give it away. Give the potential buyer an "asking" price (aim high), and be willing to negotiate, dicker down a bit. Bottom line, I would not go any lower than £2200. If they really want it, they will pay it. And when you gradually become more famous in the quilty world the buyer's interest in your work will be there. :)

PS: I'd much rather hop up into your Landy than ride in a stuffy old limosine!

Thanks again for the advice, Susanne and Shana... the original person who oohed and aahed over BK has gone back to England after her holiday and as I expected thought that even £1000 for a quilt would be high, although she could see that a lot of work was involved... I will not undersell it and only sell it to someone who loves it if they are willing to fund some special quilty trip abroad!

This brings us back to the battle of getting customers to pay us quilters what they would unflinchingly pay other tradespeople, let alone "artists"!!

As a reference---2 or 3 years ago I had a 80x90 Lover's Knot(Eleanor Burns-Quilt in a Day) quilt appraised. I did that just to get a feel for what a basic log cabin type quilt would be appraised for. All the fabrics were quilt shop quality and the quilting was moderately custom(probably a $.03 per square inch). The appraisal value was $1200.

My point is: If my quickly pieced, log cabin type quilt, with 'everyday' nice quilting--that is truly a bed quilt, would be in that price range---how would it in any way be close to reasonable for you to sell your baby for not that much more?

Don't undervalue your work!

Jill Kerekes

Archived