skipping stitches

Hi all, I am working on a great quilt. The customer has asked for all SID around 6 pointed stars. 3/4 of the way done and all is well so far - and then this morning I am having skipped stitches about every 3 inches. I have checked the bobbin area for lint, and there is a new needle installed. Stitch tension is beautiful.

There is nothing different from when I was working yesterday except for the skipped stitch. What else can I check?

Thank you for your tips

Pat B

Hi

Check the tension of the quilt sandwich - it might be too tight and also check the height of the rollers. If the take up roller is too high, stitches cannot form properly.

Put in a new needle and make sure its in straight and in high enough.

If all else fails ring Connie or Mark who will give you an answer immediately.

Best wishes

Sue in Australia

Pat,

I also have an Ultimate II with no bells or whistles. I have had that problem before. Definitely try changing the needle. Sometimes a brand new needle will have a bad spot. Also, check to make sure your thread is actually between the tension disks. I have had beautiful stitches for a few inches then some skipped ones, turns out that when the thread off the spool got slack from the spool, it also got slack to the needle because it wasn't staying in the disks. I hope this helps.

Teresa

www.chickenscratchquilting.com

Pat,

I too have an ULT II, and when I get major skipped stitches, its usually a timing thing, but it sort of sounds like maybe you are running the machine slower than you are pulling or pushing the head.

If you have the machine running to slow and you pull or push you will also get skipped stitches, because that movement is faster than your needle speed.

If you have checked all what has been already suggested, 1) bad needle, 2) timing out 3) correct tension top and bottom, and what I stated, the only other thing is maybe make sure that your back take up roller isn't dragging against the bed of the machine it I don't leave at least a 1/2 inche gap between roller and machine I get skipped stitches.

IF all else fails call Mark or Connie and have them walk you through things, maybe we have missed something.

Good Luck

Originally posted by Bonnie

Pat,

I too have an ULT II, and when I get major skipped stitches, its usually a timing thing, but it sort of sounds like maybe you are running the machine slower than you are pulling or pushing the head.

If you have the machine running to slow and you pull or push you will also get skipped stitches, because that movement is faster than your needle speed.

If you have checked all what has been already suggested, 1) bad needle, 2) timing out 3) correct tension top and bottom, and what I stated, the only other thing is maybe make sure that your back take up roller isn't dragging against the bed of the machine it I don't leave at least a 1/2 inche gap between roller and machine I get skipped stitches.

IF all else fails call Mark or Connie and have them walk you through things, maybe we have missed something.

Good Luck

I too have a UlitmateII machine with no bells or whistles,,, Pat check and see if your bobbins thread isn't around the latch on the bobbin case,,, sometime when I change bobbins and I insert it back into the machine some how my bobbins thread will get hook around my latch that pulls out my bobbin... hope this makes sense,,,I love my Ulitmate II machine,,, I have no problem at all with mind,,,Hope this solves your problem:D

Archived