Crazy quilt

A favorite customer of mine just dropped off a quilt that she has been working on, on and off for six years. It is a Crazy

Quilt, with silks, velvet, lots of hand embroidery, beading, etc. She has given me permission to do whatever I want.

I haven't quilted on velvet or silk before, nor have I quilted a crazy quilt. What do you recommend I do for quilting? What kind of thread would you use? Is there anything I should be aware of before I start in? I have about six weeks before it's actually her turn for quilting, so I have some time to think and experiment if I need to.

Any and all hints, and suggestions are welcome.

I'll try to attach a photo. Haven't done than before either! :-)

Sue

CrazyQuilt3small.JPG

Hi Sue,

That quilt top is just beautiful!!!

I have never quilted on velvet before so I am no help to you there. If this would have been one of my quilts I would SID around the blocks. I really wouldn't want to quilt over any of the blocks. Using a metallic thread in the velvet, not sure what your comfort zone is with your quilting, is there any of the embroidery that maybe you can mimic around the blocks. What does she have for the backing, that might also make a difference how its quilted. I wish you luck! ;)

Please share a picture after you have completed it !

Char

Hi Sue,

The instructor for our local quilt shops Crazy quilt class came

into the shop last Saturday. She had just gotten her quilt

back from her quilter. It was a Noah's Ark framed by crazy

quilt blocks. I'm not a fan of crazy quilts (stuck on cotton)

but this quilt came out beautiful. I don't know what she paid

for the job as it was most definitely a custom quilt job.

I did not see any metallic thread.

She did mention that the quilter had trouble with the bulk

where fabrics and embellishment come together was a real

challenge. She had to slow down and handle those bulky

areas with care. And the needle got gummy and had to be changed halfway thru the quilt.

It sounds like you have plenty of time to practice. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that SID around the blocks is a good idea and then some type of Asian pattern in the borders. In the blocks themselves I would probably just quilt a little something (i.e. dragonfly, Asian symbol, ginko leaf, etc.) somewhere in each block but stay away from the embroidery, beads & velvet completely. I would definitely use metallic thread in the border but perhaps black or purple poly or silk (not cotton) in each of the blocks. Another option for the blocks would be to quilt a border 1/4" inside the seams of the fabrics that don't have embellishments. In other words, mimic the odd shapes of the pieces that are plain.

I am currently making a crazy quilt like the one in your picture and these are some of the ideas that I have been pondering. Please post a picture when you are finished. I would love to see what you decide.

Happy Quilting,

HI,

A friend of mine had an old unfinished crazy patch piece that was given to her by her landlady. My friend asked me to make it display-able....as it had unfinished edges and was not square. I made a muslin field edged in a wide velvet upon which I secured the piece. All was well until I tried to figure out how to secure the velvet border.

As a last resort I put the whole thing on my longarm and quilted it. I was delighted with the resulting texture that the quilting gave the border and the velvet.

I have pictures that I know are too large for this site...if someone can tell me how to make them fit or if you want to send me a U2U I will send the pictures to your email.

Linda/9patch

I quilted a table topper made completely out of velvet. I didn't have any trouble with it except the thick seam allowances. I used metallic thread, the only problem was that the nap of the velvet tended to hide the thread. It was beautiful on the back, also velvet, because it was one whole piece--there weren't any seams to hide the stitching. It quilted alot better than I thought it would. I used Signature gold metallic, maybe if you could find a little heavier thread it might show a little better.

Kelly

Mille owner

I think the idea of SID is perfect. In my limited opinion, I wouldn't want the quilting to take away from the beauty of the top so the simpler the better. Metalic thread in the borders would be lovely if the pattern was simple

Archived