Problem Quilt - Help

HeatherH

Hi to all, I am a new long arm quilter having purchased a 2005 millenium that had been used very lightly - maybe a dozen quilts at the most. I have been quilting for years but new to long arm. I am having great fun. I have been asked to do a medium meander on a log cabin quilt ; this quilt has been constructed with polyester and cotton and has a polyester batting as well as "cheap" blanket inside. The problem is some of the log cabin strips are separating. The owner has taken the quilt home to repair the opening strips. The quilt has already been bound and finished. Is it possible

to quilt by basting strips to each side to attach to the rollers? Will quilting with an all over large meander help to strengthen the quilt to lessen the stress on the separating strips? Am I "nuts" to even attempt to help this lady?

Thanks for your advice.

These forums are wonderful!

Heather

Well, I'm new too. Got my Millie in February. I also have a top by a new piecer that was coming apart on several seams. I showed them to her and I fixed them and I am charging her. The piecing is really poor, but she is learning. At least it was still just a top.;)

With yours, I think it would be ok to put strips on it so you can attach it to your leaders.

In fact I have a table runner that I'm going to do that same thing to.

I don't think a LARGE meander will necessarily nail it down, unless you are careful to catch all the seams with the stitching. I always thought large meander was faaaar apart??

Someone with more experience than I will surely chime in and help you.

This is the VERY BEST forum for any help!:D:D

Archived