batting

just loaded my batting on the bottom rail and my back is breaking. I only bought 10 yds. thank god.there has to be an easier way to put the batting on. I put on warm white. wondering if I bought the whole 40 yds. if I could slip the pole through it and just load it. suggestions please. thank you. marshad19.

I used to use the batting roll under my table, but found it was tooooo much work to unroll 25 yards on carpet especially with my table on the lowest setting. Mine now hang on shower curtain rods in the closet. I can take pictures if you want. I keep the 96" folded rolls, one poly and one Hobbs cotton.

I initially stored my batting on the pole under the machine, but it seemed dirty under there, so now the rolls are sitting upright in a closet. When I need some, I place the batting roll on top of the table rollers (perpendicular) and measure out as much as I need, then make a small cut. Next I put the roll on the machine table and make the cut, using the back roller as a straight guide or sometimes I push the roll upright against the door trim and use the groove to cut straight.

I know everyone stores and cuts batting in different ways. You can find batting storage examples in the APQS My Studio Forum and more ideas for batting in the APQS Batting Forum. The rolls are heavy to lug around -- no doubt about it. My husband helps me when needed. Another option is to purchase pre-cut batts (Quilters Dream batting costs the same, whether in a roll or batt, in the past).

Hope that helps! Let us know how it is going.

Joan

Archived