Squaring fabric for class - help please

I have a class next week and I'm supposed to bring washed and pressed fabric no larger then 60" square and it needs to be squared up.

OK - what does squared up mean and when do I do it - after the fabric is washed before pressing or?? Do I tear the fabric on all sides and then square it up and if so how or do I just use my rotary cutter and ensure the fabric is cut 60" by 60".

The supply list I got didn't have any of this on it and I just received a new supply list via e-mail so I'm now scrambling to get things ready and oh so much else to do I don't know how I'm going to fit this unplanned stuff in. Thanks,,,,,Mercedes

try www.youtube.com and do a search on squaring up backs. Wait til you see the number of videos you can watch. It's great.

Personally, I would tear the right and left sides after washing, iron the sides to get the stretch out, fold, measure, then cut the other sides. Since it's 'no more' than 60" square I'd go smaller.

Good Luck!!!!

I would wash, starch and iron my fabric first. Then if you have to piece it to get the 60" do that. Finally you can square it by folding it into quarters, measuring from the center to each side and make a tick mark at the point that you want to trim (remember no more than 30 since your fabric is now folded in half and your limit is 60"), finally trim it so that all sides are the same. I usually lay this out on my big cutting table and use a large rulers. Being square just means that all edges are cut evenly and they must be perpendicular to one another. This sure is hard to explain in writing! I hope that helps.

Archived