bobbin thread won't come up

anniemueller

Hi Annie--I bet you hit the ruler hard enough to jam your needle bar out of position. Get out your manual and find the section on that adjustment. It requires a long slot-head screwdriver. With the hand wheel lowering the needle to it's lowest point and looking straight on into the empty bobbin assembly, the eye of the needle should be visible just below the needle plate. If you jammed the bar, the needle is not in position to pick up the bobbin thread. You can do this yourself and feel so proud when you fix it!!

Jamming a ruler almost never takes your machine out of time. That is accomplished another way (ask me how I know!) Needle flex caused by over-stitching (too fast) can cause the needle to bang up the bobbin assembly badly. That will un-time you and also scratch up some pretty important stuff down there.

Keep us posted on your progress and good luck!

Success!! It was hard fought, but I got there. In hindsight, it should have taken 10 minutes. I spent over 3 hours trying to find the right tools for the job. The problem was the needle bar adjustment. It took a tiny flashlight, magnifying lens, a very thin long screwdriver (had to make a trip to town for a 1/8" x 10" blade) and a long medium sized philips head screwdriver. Whew. The adjustment itself was easy. I climbed right back on that horse and quilted some more straight lines with a shorter ruler this time. Dawn taught me to keep moving my hand along the ruler for safety. I was using the rulers that came with my extender base. One is long, one short, they both have a handle built into the middle. I'd been fine with the short one. I was trying out the longer one when I ran over it because my hand stayed on the handle and at the outer end I lost control of it. I understand why it happened and will sure try to avoid doing that again!

Thank you both for your help with this. I really appreciate your speedy input!

Archived