occasional tension trouble and loops

Nancy W.

When I first use my machine I always have railroading on the back and loose loopy threads on the top ...it seems after I run the machine a few minutes I am able to get beutiful stitches but then ever so often I get railroad tracks on the back and loose loopy thread on the top ( only 1 inch or so )_ and then it goes back to beautiful stitches. I also get loops on the top ever so often. I have cleaned my machine with compressed air and WD40- and oiled the hook..I put net on my thread spools(both the one I use for my bobbin and the spool on my machine..I don't have the quilt too taunt on the rollers..I rethreaded the machine several times. I have had this problem when I was using cotton thread on top and in the bobbin and when I was using cotton thread on top and bottom line for the bobbin. The problem isn't always when I'm going in one direction..it happens randomly. I don't know what to check now. Ideas?

Have you checked your bobbin case? There may be lint or other "gunk" under the tension finger - using something that won't scratch (edge of a business card, toothpick, etc.) lift the tension finger and use your canned air or compressor to blow out that area. Also, take out your backlash spring and clean the inside of the bobbin well, then reinsert the spring.

Thanks Barbara, yes I have checked my bobbin case and taken out the bobbin backlash spring and cleaned it. I also put in a new needle (why not!) and I looked for lint on my check spring and checked to see that it is at 11:00 and then 8:00. I don't know how to check to see if it is getting caught on the machine? My tension seems to be better but I'm still getting loops on top and now have loops on the back.

I do the drop test and my bobbin thread is loose but when I try to tighten it slightly I get the thread laying on the back and so I loosed it back up. My tension seems to be better...could the bobbin tension be too loose and cause the loops and would that be the loops on the top or the bottom. Thanks Nancy

My guess, Nancy, is that you need to tighten up the bobbin and the top both. I had this same problem a couple of years ago as a newbie - it's what drove me to this forum in the first place!:P My DH and his buddies kept telling me to loosen my tension, 'cause I had loopies on the top. It wasn't until I tightened everything up that my Millie started stitching sweetly again. You'll find your sweet spot again, never fear!

And if you need some reading material in the meantime, check out Dawn Cavanaugh's article on the "Tension Handshake" - it's great stuff! It's on her blog on the APQS website.

Good luck with your "tracks and loopies" - you'll get it figured out.

Archived